Andrew Simpkins

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by TroyK, Dec 22, 2005.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    What do we know about him? I was just introduced to him (figuratively) through "Blue Hour" Stanley Turrentine with The Three Sounds. He has a great classic 12/8 walking feel with plenty of triplets in the right places and a few surprising and tasty double stops. He does play out of tune a bit in places, but his sound and feel are great.

I read a bit about him on All Music, including the fact that he switched to bass in 1953 and this record was recorded in 1960. I'm intrigued and would like to hear more. Anyone have a favorite recording of his or some really bad ones to avoid?

2. msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Andy Simkins was really underated. A great CD to really hear his playing is the newly reissued Monty Alexander "Live in Tokyo" OJC. There are some great unissued takes as well as smoking versions of Tricrotism and Just In Time.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Look up Gene Harris and the Three Sounds.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I met Andy when a group I was working with in Augusta GA opened for Sarah Vaughn (with whom he was playing). The trio showed up for their sound check and then disappeared and the group I was with got there for our soundcheck. Andy's bass was still in the middle of the stage and I spent about 20 minutes trying to run down the band or their manager or ANYBODY so I could talk to them. Finally I ended up having to move the bass myself. We did our sound check and Sarah's trio came back into the hall, so I immediately went over to Andy and started in " sorry I had to move your bass, looked everywhere, couldn't find anybody didn't know what to do..." etc. Andy put his hand on my shoulder and said "I'm sure someone who was gracious enough to come up and speak the way you are would have take the UTMOST care in moving my instrument..."
    And we ended up having a real nice talk, which was great for a young player like me from East Bum****...
  5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Nice story, thanks.

I think I'll spend some of my holiday downtime transcribing some of this record for the time feel. It's nice when they turn out to be good people, huh?
  6. To resurrect all old thread - bought The Three Sounds second LP - "Bottoms Up" and am really loving Andrew Simpkins playing.

Really digging "I could Write a Book".

Anyone recommend anything else he's played on?
  7. Interesting to see this pop up. I was just listening to Blue Hour, and thinking of doing a search here for info on him.