Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Andrew W.K. :mad:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 16, 2002.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    As I was watching T.V., i saw the band "andrew w.k." come on SNL. after i watched there performance, i felt extreme anger twards the band, especially the singer:mad:. I dont know why, but it seems to me that this man is the fakest "wannabe" rockstar i have ever seen, any of you guys agree? he did the same motions over and over again with his headbanging, his stomping, etc. and he really couldnt sing that well!:mad:

disgruntled,
    =w=slicks=w=

2. lazybassass

lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    Mass
    I got to ozzfest when he was playing on the second stage(i think he was one of the first to play) and he blew. No one was into it all and i really wondered how he could make it as far as he has in the music world.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You need a hobby if such a trivial thing makes you angry. I don't like him, but it doesn't enrage me. Anger management, maybe?

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hrmm, anger manegment......mb, mb....

i guess that it really does enrage me whe i think about it, but that isnt what i think about all the time, just now:D

=w=slicks=w=

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    while i agree that there's little music related stuff with regards to this "performer", we should still maintain appearances and put music (but not bass) related threads in miscellaneous.

besides, i hear embellisher is a fan of ole' andy w.k.

6. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I hate him also....And as for ANGER MGMT......well that is the name of my band.:eek: :D

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Something about embellisher getting a tattoo with Andy WK on it.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Suuuure, toss the dead racoon over the fence to the neighbors, eh?

What makes this guy so execrable? I've never heard his, uh, music.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ya'll know it's a joke, right? That Ol' Andy is pulling a Spinal Tap (albeit less funny)?

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    PARTY HARD!
    PARTY HARD!
    PARTY HARD!
    PARTY HARD!
    PARTY HARD!

11. *Hammers piano line*

C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C.

He sucks, no doubt about it. Thing is, he sucks so bad it's funny. And that's why it's good. :p

12. BenF

BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I got the joke, but I'm so irony-fatigued all I had the energy to do when i first saw dear Andrew was break wind softly, as in a morning sunrise.

13. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i heard, two songs by him and realised that he was using the same couple chords over and over in two songs, and i asked some friends who didn't paly musical instruments. the joy of it is that there is a guy who uses a few chords to write an album and noone can tell. that and although the sound seems somewhat nu-metal(shudders) it's actually happy music. he is actually having a good time yet sounding heavy. unlike nu-meatal (shudders again) where they sound heavy and drag on and on about hating and killing. that and andrew wk has this incredibly positive attitude which i feel is contagious.

but for the record are the skilled musicians, not really, but thier music (to me alteast) is alot of mindless fun to listen too.

just my 2 cents:D :D :D :D

this was also how i figured out why i liked andrew wk. it grows on you

14. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Seek help.......:rolleyes: :p

15. OMG! DON'T MENTION THAT NAME!
    I need to get out more i know but he's better off advertising hair products.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's good party music. I wouldn't buy the album and Andy's hair is in bad need of some conditioner, but I would take Andrew WK over most of the stuff on mainstream radio.

By the way, isn't Andrew a classically trained pianist?

17. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i think hes great. :cool: :D

PARTY HARD!!!!!!!!

18. I've found that people either love or hate Andrew W.K. and that there is NO middle ground. I personally think he's on the right track here. He just makes simple music about things everyone likes like partying. His songs about killing are actually funny because the lyrics are so stupid. Who could take a line like "when your time is at an end then it's time to kill again" seriously? I think this guy realizes music is just about having fun. He puts on a great show on stage jumping around and doing splits in the air. It's really refreshing compared to the bands that try to sound really serious about how bad the "mainstream" has treated them. The guy actually is a classicly trained pianist and writes all the music a la Trent Reznor. I don't know. I don't think there is anything wrong with him and I personally see him as pretty genuie and not trying to be anything. Just my 2 cents. Flame on.:D

19. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hmm, mb i am missing something about this dude, is it all a joke? and another question, what did spinal tap do?

but overall, i just dont like his music that much, but its not like i have a favorite band or anything....:D ;)

=w=slicks=w=

20. The funny thing is he was expected to make wave's in the music industry, become really successful but he hasn't got anywhere near his expectation's i suppose its better than limp and link.