1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Android App

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MichaelVaughn, Feb 15, 2016.

1. MichaelVaughn

MichaelVaughn

Jan 29, 2014
    Hello guys, this time I'm not asking/giving tips about bass, I need a little help for my thesis.
    Would you mind download this app?
    Tracebox - Android Apps on Google Play
    Just install it and open it once (you can uninstall it after a couple of weeks).
    Thank you!!!

2. I would definitely require an explanation about what this application does, before I would download it.
    I'm sure most other Android phone users feel the same way.

mbelue likes this.
  3. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    ^ +1

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    What's it do?

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    grumpy-cat-nogrumpy-cat-sunday-true-stories-with-gill-xmzwolqw.

Immigrant, Killed_by_Death and mbelue like this.
  6. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    How in the world would that help with a thesis? I'd say there is a high probability he is the developer of the app.

App description: Tracebox mobile. Detect PROXY, DPI, NAT and all middleboxes in your mobile network.

7. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    b4e90b8ddf6962ea280beecf7cdba40b.

Immigrant and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. ps%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F236x%2Fb4%2Fe9%2F0b%2Fb4e90b8ddf6962ea280beecf7cdba40b.

I can't remember the last time I used this response, but I do recall the surprised look on the other person's face. LMAO!

mbelue likes this.
  9. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Since real science is open, an option might be to open-source the code, making it possible for people to see what the software is doing.

10. I'm guessing the thesis is based on responses given in an online forum to a ridiculous request.

File my response as "middle finger given". With a smile, of course.

And how dare you suggest I get an Android device. I much prefer to have my experience decided for me in advance, thank you very much.

Killed_by_Death and mbelue like this.
  11. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've got two Android devices, but my own response is simply due to concern over exposing myself to some kind of security risk.

mbelue likes this.
  12. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I looked up Tracebox online. Looks interesting but im not going to install that.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Tracebox
    Middleboxes are widely deployed on the Internet mostly at the edge of the network, in enterprise and home networks. Middleboxes plays therefore an important role -- even if they are often criticized -- in today's Internet. Unfortunately, the widespread of middlebox contributed to the ossification of the Internet making it very difficult to innovate. As an example, Multipath TCP, a recent extension to TCP, includes a complex mechanism which constitute the major part of the protocol to deal with those middleboxes.

Middleboxes manipulates traffic for purposes other than simple packet forwarding and often transparently to the end-user (e.g. NAT, transparent proxies, DPI, etc.). Detecting such middleboxes is difficult today.

Tracebox is a tool that allows to detect middleboxes on any paths, i.e., between a source and any destination. Tracebox can be viewed as a tool similar to traceroute as it uses ICMP replies to identify changes in the packets. The fact that tracebox is able to detect middleboxes comes from the observation that ICMP messages are often not as defined in RFC792. Indeed it is quite common to receive a ICMP Time-to-Live exceeded message with the original datagram instead of 64 bits as described in the standard. This is caused by operating systems configured to reply with full ICMP (e.g., Linux, Cisco IOS-XR, etc.) as well as the ICMP Multi-Part Messages extension that standardize the fact that routers using MPLS tunnels replies and ICMP message containing the full datagram."

Sounds really cool. I'll get right on that.