1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Android ICS now available for US Galaxy SII ATT

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Jun 27, 2012.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I've been running ICS since December but it's my first smartphone so I'm not sure how it compares to previous versions. I wonder how it'll handle virtual buttons on a phone with actual buttons.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    yep, droid razr maxx is getting it slowly. They are slowly rolling it out past few days.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Also:

"Now, along with an upgrade to Android 4.0, or Ice Cream Sandwich, Verizon is pushing out software that activates the GSM radios in the two Motorola smartphones. As soon as subscribers get the update, which started going out Friday, they can use international roaming in about 150 countries."

AWESOME!

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Isn't ICS already obsolete with Google's announcement of Jelly Bean and the Google Assistant?

6. I have the SII....but on T-Mobile. Some rumors on the net say the T-Mobile version may never get it. :oops:

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've had ICS for a while on my generic Android tablet. Honestly I didn't notice a massive difference, and now I've settled into a boring routine of using the device for nothing but TB, e-mail, my calendar, and the weather.

The weirdest thing is metronome apps. They don't keep even time! My kids were the first to notice. I got a metronome app for their practicing, turned it on, and seconds later, they both reacted: "Dad, that thing doesn't keep time." Sure enough, they were right, and the same thing happens with every 'nome app that I've tried.

8. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Announcing Jelly Bean doesn't really mean a whole lot for now. Going to be a while before it's available. The entire market is driven by bigger, better, faster. I am happy with a stable phone :D I am not the person that buys new technology on day one. I like to let it stew to see what catches on fire first.

9. I've been using an ICS-based ROM on my AT&T GS2 (Phone Bricker) for maybe six weeks now. I can't really comment on ICS though as it's a custom ROM.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The RAM limitations on my Droid3 make ICS a no go for me. Gingerbread it is.

-Mike

11. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    Upgraded to ics last night on my htc sensation. Totally digging it. I live on my phone anyway haha

12. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Went back to ShoStock2 for my ICS needs. The ATT build just was too locked down.

13. I've been thinking about experimenting with ROMs for a bit now since I've had my SII Skyrocket for two months.

What benefits have you noticed from ShoStock2 versus other ROMs out there?

14. ICS is a monstrous step up from Gingerbread. I had ICS running on my last phone via the AOKP ROM family, but I upgraded to a new phone a few months ago with GB, and I almost took the thing back because I missed ICS so much. I'm coping for the time being, but I'm also planning on picking up the Galaxy SIII pretty soon.

As for Jelly Bean, that's an issue for the manufacturers to work out. I'm an admitted Android fanboy, but I'll concede that Google needs to push manufacturers to update their firmware faster. I suppose that is an inherent issue with open-source programming.

15. I've used both. I see little difference between them other than older/cheaper hardware struggling some with ICS. How is it a huge step up? Not trying to challenge, I'm genuinely curious.

16. Take this with a grain of salt, because I haven't really used stock ICS ROMs on my phones. I used AOKP, and everything seemed much smoother and more fluid, the multi-tasking setup, the settings menu, and the additions of scrollable widgets are all very big improvements over GB. The fact that ICS is a unified OS for phones and tablets was really important, too.

17. I am using a modded ICS ROM (PhoneBricker) on my GS2, and it admittedly does work flawlessly. I have a cheaper Chinese tablet (Zenithink C91 Upgrade) that I wish I could get a GB ROM to run on it. It struggles with ICS. I did just install a modded ICS-based ROM and modded kernel and it was a pretty good improvement...

I guess it depends on hardware constraints.