1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

android users: to root or not to root...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NateS, May 25, 2012.

1. NateS

NateS

Sep 22, 2009
    Richmond, VA, USA
    sooo.... T-mobile mytouch 4G (HTC Glacier) user here.

I've been debating on rooting my phone for about...a year now. Every couple months i read up on how to do it, and just never seem to. I live on my phone and the thought of screwing it up kinda scares me, but i know i can do it correctly.

if i root it i can flash on Ice Cream Sandwich, or any of the cyanogen mods. the thing that brought rooting to my mind again was seeing the Chrome beta app for android, which is only available to 4.0 users. I don't forsee getting to buy a new phone any time soon, and just want to attempt to catch up with android again (i remember when i bought the mytouch 4g and it was the flagship model....oh how things change.)

So yea, who here on talkbass uses android phones? Who here has them rooted? Who's got cool tips and tricks to tell? We need an android club/thread on tb...

2. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I have an Android which I rooted.
    I did it mainly so I can mildly overclock it, and I finally settled on a Gingerbread version of MIUI. I like Cyanogenmod, but the MIUI suits my needs better.

My phone is a bit old, and a lot of the newer ROMS won't be ported over, but it's life expectancy with me has greatly increased because of the root/overclock.

Check out the XDA forums, specifically this thread for your device. I would read all the How To threads. They are generally very easy to follow, and make rooting a snap.

3. Go for it. I rooted my Atrix within an hour after I got it, though it strangely un-rooted itself at some point a few months ago, and I can't get it back. :atoz:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Go for it. It's so easy now too.

Atoz....did you get an OTA from your carrier? Sometimes that will set you back if you only root without loading a ROM set to disable OTA's.

-Mike

5. KCLRbass

KCLRbass

Sep 5, 2011
    Toronto
    Highly recommended. I have Neutrino on my Atrix. It's frickin excellent.

6. I rooted my Samsung GS2 not long after I got it. I am also running a Gingerbread-based ROM (Cognition 777 r3). My experience with ICS is pretty crappy thus far, and have no desire to switch just yet.

Rooting is pretty fool-proof to do, and you can generally always get back to stock if you eff something up.

7. Yup.

8. therev

therev

Apr 28, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    Whats rooting?

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'd say if it's on AT&T you practically need to root it (Samsung Captivate user here). T-Mobile isn't as bad but it couldn't hurt if you know what you're doing.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Rooting is Android parlance for jailbreaking. It literally means gaining "root" access, which is access to all of the files on the device.

So far as I know, my Archos 80 doesn't need to be rooted.

11. I've been using and rooting Android phones for 2.5 years now (3 different models). My current phone is running Android 4.0.3 (ICS) and I love it (Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic Touch 4G on Sprint).

YOU CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE!!!! It's not common, but even with experience it can happen.

Here is my story :)

I was running a Samsung Moment when a friend sold me his pretty new HTC Evo 4G real cheap (I had rooted it for him just after he got it) and bought a newly released SGS2. I researched the phone and was ready to root it for him... had my laptop crash WHILE files were installing via Oden and bricked it. He got lucky and the local repair center believed the samsung software did it to him and they replaced it... and told him to kep the brick. He had no use for it so he GAVE it to me. I mailed it to these guys
    http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch-jtag-brick-repair/

and for $50 I got a brand new $600 :D (sold the Moment and Evo on Amazon for about $200 combined as well :D )

12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Never really understood the whole jailbreak/rooting thing.

What exactly are you benefiting by doing it.
    And please be more specific than file access,
    I have an old phone that has no carrier and everything on it still works exactly as it did when I did have a carrier hell it even gets the random stray text that my new phone just revived sometimes.

So if I root the phone, what am I gaining?

Yes I'm looking for someone to explain it in simple terms. PLEASE

Thanks guys.

13. naetog

naetog Supporting Member

May 26, 2006
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    ^^
    Customize your UI
    try different ROMs
    load different kernels
    over clock
    use your phone on a different carrier
    better/more thorough backup options
    get rid of proprietary crap apps.

Most ROMs are now optimized and are much smoother than stock systems (at least the ones I've used).

14. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    For me, rooting is all about customizing the UI to my liking with my icons and images. I coughed up a couple hundred bucks for this device so I want it to look and sound how I want. Plus, as an IT guy, I can't resist the urge to modify it.

-Mike

15. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Gotcha, okay I think I had a pretty good idea then what it was, and now thinking about it I believe I opted out because at the time I was concerned with voiding the warranty or something.

I may try it on the older Droid, if for nothing else just to see if its for me.

I appreciate the responses to my question.

16. Just curious, what ROMs are you guys using? I'm being bit by the bug to change (currently using Cognition 777 r3), but as I said earlier, I'm not sold on ICS just yet. Soooo, what GB ROMs get your vote?

17. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    On my D3, I created my own ROM. I couldn't find one with all the features I wanted.

1SHOT1HIT....rooting will void your warranty, so be careful. For me, the "warranty" from VZW is a joke anyway, so I didn't care.

-Mike

18. I got an S2 Skyrocket recently and have been considering rooting it. I've never had a smartphone before but I think I am certainly computer/tech savvy enough to do it without bricking it.

The rooting part seems easy enough, but what kind of ROMs do you guys have experience with/recommend? I am not even fully sure on the differences between Gingerbread and IceCream Sandwich, other than that the latter is newer.

19. I personally like Gingerbread much more than Ice Cream Sandwich.

Along with my current ROM, I've tried CyanogenMod and Criskelo. Each one was very buggy. With Cognition, everything worked as it should.

For each phone, there are different variations of the ROMs though, so YMMV.

20. And Mike, let's hear about your ROM. I'm impressed!!! Did you develop your own kernel too??