Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Andy Fraser

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jerry, Nov 16, 2002.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Since we where talking about old school rock Gibson bass players in another thread, I figured I would throw Andy Fraser's name out there. He was one of my biggest heros when I was young, he was a great player/writer! He also was the king of note placement in a song......on the song All Right Now that he co-wrote.....the bass dosen't even come in until the chorus, how cool is that?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The bass tone on that song is one of my all-time favorites, jerry.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mine too, Brad.
    I am sorta amazed that it's a Gibson bass. ;)
    To my recollection, the bass on most of the other Free stuff wasn't recorded as well(?).

Jerry-
    I don't how "cool" it was NOT playing on the verses way back when; I HADDA play sumthin'...didn't you? ;)

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am a great fan of andy fraser. great bass player and rock composer-

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Just got Free live on disc and his live tone was killer I can't get the song Mr Big outa my head.

6. the part during the guitar solo in "Alright now" intrigues me-
    there's an open A going while he plays the high-register three-note descending figure- the rhythms of each are tricky to play together- was that overdubbed?

ps. can Free's "the hunter" be held responsible for "love gun" by Kiss/ the love gun referred to in Spinal Tap's "big bottom"? :p

7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The solo on Mr Big was one of the first solos I learned when I was a kid......I got to see Free with Andy a few times, and they had it all.....one of the best singers in rock ever, a guitar player that could say more with one note than most other players, and a rocksteady drummer. That band defined the word stage pressece for a rock band....and half the band wasn't even twenty yet;)

8. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I don't think the middle of 'All Right Now' is a overdub......I saw Andy do it live. Another great Andy Fraser bassline was from the song the 'Stealer',
    it kind of sounds like Flea's from 'Give It Away'.

9. heh- funny reading that now. it's a pretty simple guitar fingerpicking-style rhythm-
    that Fraser played with his thumb + fingers.

check out his site-

http://www.andyfraser.com

his biography is a hell of a read- there must be a book in the works......

10. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Wow! Interesting read! Thanks for that Mock!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I had to work at it quite a bit, but I can nail "All Right Now" note for note. It's not that hard once you get it (duh :D ) But, it's not overdubbed, just some BIG fretboard jumpin'.

From what I've heard (a best of) The Production remains fairly consistant throughout. I don't know if I like his tone, it's OK. It sounds like a Tuba. :D

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Right. Just like "All Night Long" by AC/DC - the bass doesn't come in until the chorus. Maybe Cliff took a page out of the Andy Fraser playbook for that one, eh? :meh:

MM

13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think AC/DC was influenced by Free, Angus Young's vibrato is very much like Paul Kosoff's.

14. yeah, we were discussing it here- http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169640

the open A string notes stumped me until one day when i was noodling on acoustic guitar with a thumb + fingers alternating pattern - and realised it's easier to think of the succession of notes rather than the two rhythms.
    like when singing + playing.

15. What an amazing player!!!

One of my favorite bassists!!!

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's funny, I didn't appreciate the "not playing" until I was on stage doing these songs. It makes the bass all the more powerful! :bassist: It's almost very orchestral. (heh, I called Free and AC/DC orchestra)

Fire... and Watttttttttttttttttteeeeeer Musta made you their daughter.

17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I believe the Rolling Stones did the same on "Honky Tonk Women".

18. Pure bass playing and that fat tone. Brilliant note selection.
    A true rock legend. Nuff said.

19. Koss was great!