Andy Hess, new bass player for Gov Mule

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by deepestend, Sep 12, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I'm pscyched... a great bass player.

From their e-mail list:

(New York, NY) - After three years of rotating bass players, special guests, one night stands and cheap thrills, Gov1t Mule is ready to settle down with long-time friend and bassist Andy Hess.

Mule -- comprised of founding guitarist and drummer Warren Haynes and Matt Abts with keyboardist Danny Louis -- has been without a permanent bass player since original bassist and founding member Allen Woody passed away August 2000.

"We've been fortunate to have many amazing bass players tour and record with us," says Haynes. "When we played with Andy Hess - it felt like a band."

"It's a real honor and privilege to play with Gov1t Mule," says Hess. "Allen1s are some big shoes to fill, but I am going to try to put my own stamp on it. I am very excited about being a part the band."

Hess has played and recorded with Gov1t Mule countless times over the past three years. He previously performed with The Black Crowes, Joan Osborne, Freedy Johnston, and most recently toured with The John Scofield Band. Between gigs he1s done session work for the likes of David Byrne and Tina Turner.

"In my late teens I moved out to the Bay area and started playing local blues gigs. I was exposed to a lot of local guys and some bigger national guys like John Lee Hooker. I was listening to B.B. King and Muddy Waters."

Hess moved to NY in 1990 and honed his live skills. "I struggled pretty hard. The first five years were cover gigs and it was all about paying dues and hustling $50 to $100 gigs. It wasn't until 1996 that things started happening," he recalls. "All the while I was meeting a lot great musicians and making a lot friends. I learned to play tons of songs and learned how to jam. It was a whole education. It kept things going and inspired. I thought, ŒIf I keep it going, it'll pay off.1 Now I am joining one of the greatest rock bands in the world and we have a great future ahead of us."
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Thanks for the heads up! I really like Andy's playing with Scofield......great groover!!
  3. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I saw the mule in 2/2001 when they had both andy and jason newstead play w/ them. jason was much more of a showman, but otherwise i didn't discern too much difference within the mule context. looking forward to seeing and hearing the new mule this fall!