1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Andy Hess No Longer with Gov't Mule

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by christle, Sep 15, 2008.

1. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I just got the email speil from Gov't Mule saying they got a new bass player. Any idea where Andy may have gone? I am very interested in keeping up with him and his music. The new bass player is [FONT=Verdana,helvetica,arial]Jorgen Carlsson. Anyone know about him?
    [/FONT]

2. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I got the update as well. I'm a big fan of Andy's playing with The MUle. I am curious as well.

3. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
  4. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, I never got the call for an audition. :confused:

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Neither did I.... ;)

6. h60

h60

Nov 30, 2007
    KMOB
    Niether did I! :meh:

I'm a Big Woody fan. But I gotta say I became a Hess fan as well. Different sound, but I liked it. Gonna be interesting to hear the next version of the Mule.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tagging on for updates.....FWIW....I thought Andy was perfect for them.

8. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I did too. I was also a big Allen Woody fan. I hope this new iteration sounds as good as the first two iterations.

9. Thangfish

Thangfish ...overly qualified for janitorical deployment...

Damn.
    I too, was a fan of Woody's and then Hess... I suppose this dude will be a kick ass player as well... ?
    You'd never know it from that video though...

10. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    From RELIX:
    Jorgen Carlsson has replaced Andy Hess as Gov’t Mule’s permanent bassist. Hess privately announced his resignation earlier this year, and Gov’t Mule has spent the past six months quietly rehearsing, jamming and hanging with Carlsson. Hess officially joined Gov’t Mule in 2003, three years after the death of founding bassist Allen Woody.

“We were faced with the daunting task of replacing a one-of-a-kind musician, which I'm sure was intimidating for Andy, who did a wonderful job and brought his own personality into the music,” Gov’t Mule leader Warren Haynes said in a statement. “Jorgen’s style is somewhere between Woody's and Andy's. He brings some of Woody's aggressive spirit back although he is very much his own man. Having worked with Jorgen over the last several months, we are very excited to explore some new directions while at the same time going back a little closer to our roots.”

Carlsson was born in Sweden and has worked as a session musician and studio owner since arriving in the United States in 1991. As previously reported, Gov’t Mule will kick off its Kinder Revolution tour at South Burlington, VT’s Higher Ground on October 30. The quartet will also release a new DVD entitled The Tale of Two Cities, which features two complete shows drawn from Hess’ time with the band.

11. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Andy is on the new album 'Blue Plate Special' by Will Bernard with John Medeski and Stanton Moore. A great gumbo of grooves that is not coming out of my CD player anytime soon.

12. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Thanks Jerry!

13. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    Mule has went kind of downhill since Andy Hess joined, in my opinon. Everything since the Deep End albums has been a little weak and un-mule like

14. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I quite like all their music. To me each bass player has added to the songs by placing their unique stamp on the band's sound. I also see a band that has been maturing as well. As long as they keep putting out good music I will support them. :D

15. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    First: Thanks for tuning me on to Gov't Mule!

Andy Hess is a great groove player. I like what he's done, though I've honestly only heard the stuff on YouTube--because of this thread, actually. I've been listening for an hour, now. The tone coming from that beat up P-Bass (60 something?) is phenomenal. Allen Woody was a great player, as well. Rest his soul. I'm sure the new guy will fit right in and be great as well. I might just buy tickets for the show at Royal Oak Music Theater on Nov. 11th.

Gov't Mule on YouTube

16. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I don't know about the song or the style of music. It's nothing like Mule, that's for sure. But the tone coming from Jorgen's 'Ray is really good and super articulate. He definitely has command of his instrument. I'm very interested to hear what the Mule has going on with this style of player. At any rate, surely Warren Haynes won't be hiring any slouches. It'll be exciting to watch develop. Of course, only in my humble opinion. I really like the band with any of the bassists so far.
    dD

17. This is pretty cool.

18. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Reminds me of a theme from the slower part of an action movie. It'll be interesting seeing how that translates into Gov't Mule.

19. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I hope they get back to their roots. I've always been a huge fan (seen them at least a dozen times), and no disrespect to Mr. Hess, he's a great player. It just seems like their writing has kind of gone in a different direction. I love Danny Louis on keys, but there is nothing like the three piece line-up that used to be Mule. The band sprung from the idea that Allen Woody had, which was : How come there arent any more great power trios a'la Cream, The Experience or ZZTop? I would love to see them go back to that formula but it will never happen I guess. Still a fan, but a fan of what is now what seems like a different band.

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm from the school of thought that a band evolving and changing is a good thing, even if I don't agree with the direction. A new member will almost certainly bring that change. I would think after awhile just writing for a three piece would be limiting if the band was your main outlet for that side of your art. I loved the Police, but I understood Sting's need to break out of those boundaries after awhile.
    I now can follow Andy's career in what I'm sure will be some very cool musical adventures and the same with the Mule.