Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Andy Hess?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Has anyone ever heard him? He's the new bassist for Gov't Mule, the first long term replacement since Allen Woody's death. I just got a chance to hear the album Déjà Voodoo, on which he apears, and thought he sounded awsome. But I've never heard him talked about before this point. Anyone know what else he's been envolved in?

2. DJ88

DJ88

Dec 9, 2005
    NC US
    Check out www.andyhess.com
    Listening to his Bass playing on 'Silent Scream' was one of the major influences to me being confident I wanted to play bass.
    And if you didn't know, Mule is in the studio now!! Good stuff I bet coming from them.

3. Mule is in the studio? :bassist: Awsome. Thanks.

Yeah, I had found andyhess.com, but it wont load up on my CPU. I have no idea why.

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Yep, he's a good fit for Mule.

5. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I got to meet him at the Deja release show... very laid back and nice guy. Doesn't use any effects-- that's what he said that night. Just plugs a P straight into an Ampeg.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    a 59 P with flats for that matter :)

7. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    You should check out his playing live! Download a show or two from Muletracks!

8. he uses an EBS octaver too, but barely uses it - according to the bass player mag interview

i totally dig andy hess, im surprised theres not much of him on here, with his work with john scofield on "up all night" especially...really, check that album out, great funk jazz jam album...be great if there was a live dvd or cd

9. Even though I miss Allen Woody's tone a LOT in Gov't Mule I gotta accept that Andy Hess is a great substitute, Love "Slackjaw Jezebel"....

10. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Man I'm with ya. Andy Hess is one of my favorite bass players right now. He has been since he joined the Mule. He's a really solid player that has some awesome tone and some bad ass runs. I like his style too, just like I would picture a traditional bass player, in the back layin it down. His cohorts aren't too shabby themselves. I've seen him with the Mule three times and it's better everytime. I can't wait for the new cd!

11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    what he said - those are some big shoes to fill.

Not that it matters but didn't Hess record for Britney Spears?
    that must have been quite the payday.

thanks Dogpile,
    He was on the Baby One More Time cd, LOL!
    http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1004945/a/Baby+One+More+Time....htm
    he's mentioned way down in the notes w/ about 20 other people.

12. I'm a fan of his playing. First time I heard of him was on John Scofield's uberjam CD. Amazed to find out that he was a 4 string Fender P player.

13. we dont all need custom $8000+ overly good looking that it looks bad....but he does sound great, p with flats straight into an ampeg rig

14. Back then I was more familiar with Scofield's funk/fusion material. I wasn't expecting a straight Fender P in his band though. I read somewhere that Scofield was good for a change when he put that band together. During auditions, there are apparently lots of 5 and 6 stringers who showed up but when Andy Hess rocked up with his Fender, Scofield said that was the sound he was after.

15. yeah...all these people showing up with all these high tech basses, i mean, what else do you need for a funk jam band, an old beat up p with flats....up all night is a great album, if you dont already have it

16. Already got 'Up All Night'. Love it.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I also think his vibe is perfect for the Mule, I'm sure Woody would have approved!:cool:

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    +1...could have put it better myself!

Saw him with Sco back in 2000... him and Adam Deitch (AWB/Lettuce), man they both locked in like they were duct-tapped together!

Hess has killer tone too!!

19. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Sorry to dig up this old thread but I just saw Mule on Conan lastnight and they killed . I love Andy's tone and playing. He does what is necessary and it kills. Their keys player is very good too.