Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Andy Rourke - The Queen is Dead

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gustat, May 1, 2000.

1. gustat

gustat

Apr 11, 2000
    If you have never heard the album, you won't know to what I am referring.
    His creativity explodes from every track -
    He is quite a gifted fellow, even though he was dealing with addiction while recording that album.

I am surprised more people don't mention him...

other Andy Highlights, not on TQID:
    This Charming Man
    Rusholme Ruffians

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Gus. Andy was one of my first electric bass influences when I started playing years ago. Not coincidentally, The Queen is Dead was the first Smiths LP I ever bough. It is a masterpiece, but to get a better glimpse at Andy's style, I'd steer people towards the collections "Hatful of Hollow" and "The World Wont Listen" Better yet, The Smiths' double album compilation "Louder than Bombs", which is also brilliant.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

3. Joseph M

Joseph M

May 26, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gustat:
    If you have never heard the album, you won't know to what I am referring.
    His creativity explodes from every track -
    He is quite a gifted fellow, even though he was dealing with addiction while recording that album.

I am surprised more people don't mention him...

other Andy Highlights, not on TQID:
    This Charming Man
    Rusholme Ruffians
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let's not forget "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" !!!

Joseph M

------------------
    Jason and the Argonauts
    j-a-t-a@home.com

4. djam

djam

Jun 22, 2000
    I was just browsing though this board, but after seeing a post on Rourke/Smiths... I had to register, so I could respond.

I'm glad someone else recognizes the great Bass Playing in their music! It is great and melodic, a perfect compliment to Jonny's guitar.

The 10 Essential Smith's Bass Songs: (In order - IMHO)
    1. These Things Take Time
    2. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
    3. The Queen is Dead
    4. This Charming Man
    5. Barbarism begins at home
    6. Handsome Devil
    7. Last Night I deramt That Somebody Loved Me
    8. Bigmouth Strikes Again
    9. Headmaster Ritual
    10. Rubber Ring

5. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    DJam,

"Headmaster Ritual" at only # 9? What a cool line! What a great sound Andy Rourke had. I'm not a big Smiths fan but I've always thought there were really cool bass parts on the Smiths tunes I heard. I'll have to see if I can get some of the others off your top ten list off Napster. Thank god they won their injunction!

6. Why didn't those guys get more recognition as musicians? The music is very complex and interesting, but they do get overlooked. I mean they were popular, but no one discusses their music. Maybe it was too original or something, although their staccato sound was similar to REM in the EARLY years, sort of...

7. Mandude

Mandude

Apr 19, 2000
    I have to agree that Andy Rourke is one hell of a bassist. He, along with Peter Hook, had me wishing that I was British a few years back. It's a shame the Smiths don't get more recognition for their musical prowess.

8. How about that bass solo in "Barbarism begins at home"?
    The Smiths were a very cool band. Andy Rourke I think was/is a very under rated bassist.

9. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    This thread inspired me to relisten to my Smiths collection. I cannot say enough about how tasteful Andy's playing is......and should be more widely appreciated.