Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Andy Rourke (The Smiths)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Moonraker, May 21, 2002.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I've only recently got into his style of playing and I reckon he is quite underated. He has a real melodic and sometimes funk influenced style that is distinct
    and compliments the rest of the bands music.Any1 else agree, like his style or know of him?

2. I find this interesting:

Is he slapping/popping on "How Soon Is Now?"??

Not usual in the so called "alternative rock" scene... I can only recall Mike Mills doing some of it on "Finest Worksong"... I think... ???

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I'd say that is slapping in my book. Anyone that can play a hummable bassline is decent IMO.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I love Andy's playing. I think it was "Hatful of Hollow" and that picture of Andy inside that made sure I wanted to be a bass player.

I don't think Andy ever slapped*. I think he just played with a pick and had a very twangy sound. For a real funky tune, check out "Barbarism Begins at Home", from "Meat is Murder".

*Except on the instrumental "The Draize Train" from the single "Panic"

Favorite basslines, anyone?

Mine are:

"Barbarism Begins at Home"
    "This Charming Man"
    "Hand in Glove"
    "Girl Afraid"
    "Sweet and Tender Hooligan"
    "These Things Take Time"
    "What Difference Does it Make?"

and more...

Andy's a great place for any beginner to start developing a sensibility for bass in rock/pop.

5. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm not an Andy Rourke/Smiths fan, but if you are, he is currently playing with Badly Drawn Boy.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    When I first heard "Barbarism..." I thought it was slap, so I learned it that way :). Turns out to be like BW said - pick w/ fresh roundwounds.

You forgot "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", Big Wheel! :)

The tone on "The Headmaster Ritual" is great.

I agree wholeheartedly that he's an underrated player. Though rumors have been around forever that Johnny Marr wrote the basslines (he does get all music credit on the albums). Either way they're wonderful.

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Mine would be:

"Bigmouth Strikes Again"
    "What Difference Does It Make"
    "Panic"
    "This Charming Man"
    "Ask"

My fave Smiths song is "How Soon Is Now". I think Andy Rourke is a great bass player. Maybe not one of the best. But his lines really compliment the songs. Melodic and unique IMO. :)

8. "heaven knows I'm miserable now" is quite tricky to play with the double-stop tenths slid up and down the neck- a brilliant line, together with the bend on the G# and offbeat fills in the intro/ middle break.

9. ahpook

ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    god guys, you're bringing it all flooding back.....

barbarism begins at home...i remember the elation when i got close to the bassline to that song...
    ..i slapped it out too.

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I said "And more", didn't I? ;)

You're right, though. That was my introduction to double stops, and I can't think on a song where they were used more appropriately.

I also didn't mention:

"You Just Haven't Earned it Yet, Baby"
    "Frankly, Mr. Shankly"
    "Sheila, Take a Bow" (Great tone)
    "Cemetery Gates"
    "Paint a Vulgar Picture"

And more...:p

11. For years I had only known their "Sheila Take A Bow" and (of course) "Panic", until the beginning of this year when I was introduced more of their stuff...and I really got into them. And yes, a great bassplayer for great songs. :)

By the way, some of the bass lines in Morrissey's solo works are very good, too. For example "Suedehead" or "Every Day Is Like Sunday". I have no idea who played them, though!?

12. Smiths/Morrissey producer Stephen Street played bass on those.
    Andy Rourke played on a couple of Morrissey solo songs- "last of the famous international playboys" and "November spawned a monster"(love the doublestops in the intro).

13. Thanks for the information :)

14. ex- Andy Rourke Yamaha BB2000 on Ebay-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3352946350&category=29937

"You are bidding on a Yamaha bb2000 bass guitar owned by Ex-Smith Andy Rourke.It was purchased in 1983 and put straight to work on all The Smiths records there-after.The bass has remained in Mr. Rourke's poccession for twenty years.It's featured in the gatefold cover of "Hatful Of Hollow".Mr. Rourke has also used this bass on all of the records since the demise of The Smiths:-The Pretenders,Sinead O'Conner,Badly Drawn Boy and more. The bass has a few dings which were inflicted by Andy Rourke & Johnny Marr when they figured their new guitars looked a little TOO new!!It's got a thru' neck and plays great.Plugged in, it instantly has that "Barbarism Begins at Home" twang.It comes in it's original case with a letter from Mr. Rourke. This is a rare chance to own a well documented slice of Rock n Roll history.Mr Rourke will be willing to personally autograph the instrument itself should the winner so wish.Feel free to request any j-pegs or ask any questions. Happy Bidding"

hmmm- I thought he recorded all the Smiths stuff with a P bass?

[​IMG]

15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    One of my faves, and a big influence when I was starting out.

I also thought I saw him with a P in most photos.

Not sure what he recorded with, but he sounded like that's what he used.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I seem to remember reading at some point this year that Rourke had filed for bankruptcy and had to sell off his royalty rights.

Can anyone confirm this?

17. yeah, someone on another forum was mentioning Rourke's bankruptcy.

they also linked to this pic-

[​IMG]

the best of Morrissey is being cleared out for £3.99 at HMV.
    Rourke plays on a couple of tracks as mentioned previously in the thread.

18. There are songs like for example "The Headmaster Ritual" where his tone is different to a P-Bass' - to my ears it actually sounds like a pick-up close to the bridge.

19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Apologies in advance for this blast from the past...

Any idea how much this went for?