Andy Summers?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Jul 7, 2001.

1. I am a huge Police fan and was wondering what Andy's solo work was like. I know he's done a few tribute albums to Mingus and Monk, and also some albums with Fripp, are any of these good? Thanks in advance for the input...
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, you won't get any pretty archtop jazz a la Pat Metheny. What you will get is a lot of harmonically inventive, rough-edged, rockish-sounding solid-body playing. Like Scofield, but better, IMO. I personally like "Last Dance of Mr. X", which is 60/40 covers to originals, and features Tony Levin and Greg Bissonette.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Summers' 'solo' stuff-
    The Last Dance Of Mr. X, Green Chimneys(the Monk tribute), & Worlds Apart are the ones I have.
    Worlds Apart has a pretty stellar cast, too...a decent disc for 'background' noiz, IMO.

I haven't heard Summers' latest, it's a Mingus tribute.
  4. I have one of the Summers/Fripp disks called Bewitched. I like it a lot but I also love both of the guitar players. The bass player is Sara Lee and she plays great bass on this disk.
  5. And check her work with Gang of Four.
  6. Cool, I'll check some of it out. Does Stewart Copeland have any albums out? I was never a fan of his lyrics on a few of the Police songs (I cringe when I hear some of the songs on Regatta De Blanc :D) but his drumming is fantastic. I know he's recorded with Les Claypool and Trey Anastasio but I don't know of anything else.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Copeland also played with Stanley Clarke in Animal Logic(nothing really that memorable, IMO).

On his own, Copeland has written some film/TV The Equalizer.