1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Andy Williams: 'I Can't Help Falling in Love'.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by REDLAWMAN, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

Does anyone know this version of the Elvis song well enough to just tell me what the chords are, please?

I can't find a chord chart for this version anywhere online: the bass part is very different from (and a lot simpler) than the Elvis version. Sounds like a lot of repeated roots played quickly with much less walking up and down to the next chord.

Thanks everyone.

2. Thanks angryclown5; much appreciated. Maybe our UK search engine doesn't bring everything up after all!

3. OK, I've got to hold up my hands and admit that I'm struggling here.

I've determined, I think, that the Al Cappo arrangement Andy Williams made famous in 1970 is in the key of A.

I have absolutely no idea how to go about transposing: the above two versions are in D and C respectively.

Could anyone help me out, please?

4. I thought I'd just got really smart and figured out a great way to do it: by singing the song into a chromatic tuner.

This worked great, but it's just given me the melody notes and it sounds quite bland by comparison with the harmony notes the bass tends to play.

Am I perhaps onto something here and if I do this and get the melody notes down, how easy is it to figure out the bass harmony notes? Simply playing the 5ths of those roots doesn't sound right at all, nor the 3rds or octaves.

5. So in C, like the chart in the link, the chords are ( chord - followed by its diatonic relation to the key - Upper case = major, lower case = minor):

C (I) Em (iii) Am (vi) F (IV) C (I) G (V)

F (IV) G (V) Am (vi) F (IV) C (I) G (V) C (I)

This is just the first 2 lines of the tune for example. If you want to play it in A take just the (Roman numerals) like this:

(I) (iii) (vi) (IV) (I) (V)

(IV) (V) (vi) (IV) (I) (V) (I) ...and fill in new chords in A

A (I) C#m(iii) F#m(vi) D(IV) A(I) E(V)

D(IV) E(V) F#m(vi) D(IV) A(I) E(V) A(I)

Search diatonic harmony for a deeper understanding of the Roman numerals. Makes transposing fairly easy. Hope this helps.

6. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    You should get in contact with Marcus Willett, who is a member here. He was Andy Williams' longtime bassist!

7. Oh, I see. I understand diatonic harmony and the Nashville Numbering system. So if, for example, it was just I, IV and V, I would just play the I, IV and V of A, eg. A, D and E instead of C, F and G?

And that's really all you need to know and do to transpose from one key to another?

Thank you, Angryclown.

Commreman: I will try, thanks.

8. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Enter any song title followed by "chords and lyrics" into Google and you will likely get about 5 different chart versions.

9. Could I just ask someone if what I've put in relation to transposing from one key to another is correct. please?

10. Yup!

11. Thank you!