Anesthesia help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I looked up anesthesia help in search but it blocked 'help' and a million threats came up so here it goes:

In anesthesia there are alot of power chords used, this is all good and well for pick users but I'm learning it finger style as a sort of a personal tribute. Anyway, I thought origonally that he double stopped hear, but i tried it and no matter what (i tried loads of wah and stuff) I cant get that sound, so how does he get that screaming sound.

Secondly how does he play the 19th fret strumming part before the chorus? I have no idea!

Thanks Guys :bassist:
  2. he definatly uses wah for that "screaming sound" the powerchords i would say either play flamenco, or simotaneously pluck with ur index and middle fingers whatever you feel more comfortable with, I don't know how cliff played it.
  3. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    Use you fingers like a pick, basically downstroke hard with your fingernails, and load on the wah and fuzz. It took a while for me to find the perfect Cliff Burton Scream sound.
  4. AmplifyYourBass

Dec 7, 2003
    Doesn't he use a wah-distortion combo for that screaming sound?
  5. I know he makes the screaming by keeping the wah on bass then slamming it down and it screams, but I just find the finger movements difficult. Good idea Beast, i'll have to try it!
  6. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    From Bass Player Feb 2005 "Complete Transcription of Metallica's (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth, Cliff Burton's Roaring Masterpiece" by Ed Friedland. Pages 93 to 103:

"...there is a certain amount of 'voodoo' created by teh Morley Fuzz-Wah Cliff used during the recording. Even if you have the same setup that Burton used, you may not get the exact same sounds. The finger scrapes and harmonic feedbacka re highly variable, so learn the positions, the notes, the rhythms, and you'll get as close as you can to reproducing the classic solo..."

There really isn't that much strumming going on so much as sweeping. He does a couple of 'power chords', but nothing you can't do with your finger nails. I use the sides of my fingers, like a finger-picking guitar player, when I want chords and finger style in bass tune.

The 19th fret stuff is hammer-ons and pull-offs. Starting on a C note (first and 2nd verse endings are slightly different, I'll do the first verse ending) on the 17th fret of the G string, then (staying on the G string) D, C, hammer to D#, pull-off to the C, B, C, B, hammer to C, pull-off to B, (now to the D string, 17th fret) G (then sweep from G string to A string on the 16, and 17th frets) B, G, D (then on the D string) G, G, G, G, A, A, A, A (lastly to the G string, 16th fret) B slide down and strike an open A.

Unless you're referring to the diads and triads in the 86th measure that are (from G string to A string) 18th fret, 19th fret, open A, spelling (A-A-D#) (most would use a power chord there) and he hits the A on the 19th fret of the D string about every other stroke, so it's the biggest part of the strumming for the song.

Since you're in the land down under, you can PM me if you need any more parts, or the transcription; but do me a favor, try to refer to the measure as I'm only reading the transcription. I've been told that the American "Bass Player" magazine is very hard to find out there.

The only Metallica song I know at all is "Whiskey in the Jar-O". I love that song! :bassist: The rest of their stuff is OK. I don't know what it would cost to send this over there, but I'd be perfectly willing to package up the 5 pages that I wouldn't use on a bet and send them out to you. I could send you the 5 page article about Cliff as well if you wanted.

Holy smoke, United States Postal Service says $5.00 (USD) to Australia! Holy-free-holy! I could scan, zip, and email it to you as long as you've got an email account that can handle the file. :ninja: Just send me a PM if so. Either way, I hate to sit on this article while I know someone else can use it.
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Which, incidentally, isn't by Metallica :)
  8. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    It is not Metallica original (it is actually an old Irish Folk song), and it's been covered by several bands, including Thin Lizzy; but Metallica's version rocks. They even won a Grammy in 2000 for the cover of "Whiskey in the Jar-O", which was included on Garage Inc, which was all covers and also included their cover of "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger.

Now, I'm not big fan, but I've been covering that tune for over 3 years, so you might want to re-check your discography before you say it wasn't recorded by Metallica. :rolleyes: