(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The Mole, Sep 27, 2002.

1. I'm currently learning this bass solo, I'm doing pretty well... I can play up until where the drums enter with no problem (not bad for some1 who has been playing for 4 months, self-taught? :D )
    Anyway, how do I tackle the next bit cos it sounds so hard to play properly. Is it achieved by quick hammer-on's and pull off's, and there any other techniques I need to know.
    I play the song without a plectrum, Cliff Burton didn't... right?

Thanks for any tips! :D
  2. I can say with 100% certainty that Cliff Burton NEVER ONCE USED A PICK IN ANY OF THE ALBUMS HE WAS ALIVE FOR (sniff...)

Anyways, good job, that sounds pretty good for getting that far in 4 months. Keep it going!!!

(I haven't touched my bass in 4 weeks....If anyone wants to pull a Bin Laden on Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, as long as no ones dies, BE MY GUEST) :mad:
  3. All I have to say to you mole is, DAMN YOU! I've been playing for over a year now and I can barely play a song let alone one of the greatest metal bass solo's of all time.

And I want to be in band?:(

It's stuff like this that make me want to quit...fortunately I love music too much to do so.

Then again, I play with a "pick" or plectrum as you like to call it.

Do you have any prior instrument experience?
  4. That's not a reason to quit Panther, it can take a long time to learn something new. Les Claypool was crap when he first picked up bass, but look where he is now... it will be worth it in the end!

Yes I do have previous musical experience, I started playing clarinet when I was about 10, then went on to alto sax when I was about 13 and I still play it... I'm 17 now. Even though these instruments are completely different to bass guitar I think they helped with my finger technique and sense of rhythm, as well as other things.

Using a pick is fine, I use one sometimes... but I finger-pick with my index and middle most of the time. It can take a while to get used to but it does help :D

Anyway, don't be disheartened about where I am, concentrate on where you are and don't let anything stop you enjoying bass guitar :)
  5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Don't get so hard on yourself, BassPanther. I've been playing for a little over 2 years and I don't play many songs myself (well radio tunes I mean....). It takes practice. I'm sure you know that. Learn your theory, practice ear training...All this helps in learning how to play songs.

As the great "Zen Guitar" book says: "If you work to find peace within yourself, you will have no self-doubt about your music, your talent, or anything." Also focus on where you are in the present moment...not where you want to be. Too many times we focus on the future in our musicianship and then we start saying things like 'oh I'll never be able to play this song' or 'oh I'll never be in a band'. You have that positivity to say that you love music too much to quit. Work with that. Practice for what you want. Remain centered. :)

Oops. Sorry to get off-topic from your thread The Mole. :D
  6. Mole: Your previous experience would explain your skill. Now I don't feel so inferior

Steph: Thanks for the kind words. I probably should refer myself to the Zen Guitar book more often
  7. ylexot

Oct 1, 2002
    St. Inigoes, MD
    Hey Mole, I'm new to bass (less than 1 week), but Anesthesia is one of my goals. Any tips for people even newer than yourself? What effects are used? Is there such a thing as a tab for that, or are you playing by ear?
  8. I remember being in you're position ylexot, I couldn't wait until I could play it :)
    I learnt using this tab: http://www.basstabarchive.com/cgi-bin/text.cgi?tab=m/metallica/anethesia.btab but this tab:http://www.metallica.cz/basstabs/kea05.htm has more info on playing techniques.

You have to be patient and realize you're not gonna learn this thing in a couple of days. It will sound awful at first, but don't give up. Take a section of the song and practice it till you can play it from memory, then move onto the next section. Then you gotta put them together :)

As for effects, use plenty of distortion and you gotta get a nice fuzz on the sound. Wah is also used in places but you don't have to worry about that at the moment.

Have fun! :D

Oh yeah, don't use a pick! :p
  9. There is NOTHING wrong with using a pick!

(hippy voice) don't oppress the pick users man
  10. :rolleyes: I didn't say there is anything wrong with using a pick, I use one sometimes... but this solo should, IMHO, be played fingerstyle.
  11. ylexot

Oct 1, 2002
    St. Inigoes, MD
    Thanks Mole. Right now I'm still learning to do the basics...as in playing each fret on each string (fingerstyle only for the moment), but I think I'm quickly getting to the point where I might try playing a tab. I also just got a Korg PX3B on eBay, so I should have some effects to play with soon. Once I can play Anesthesia, my next goal will be "Sting of the Bumblebee" by Manowar. I think picking is necessary for that one ;)
  12. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    I found this thread to be very interesting and I thought you guys might like some perspective from an old fogey like myself. Please take this in the spirit it is intended.

I understand the fascination with "Pulling Teeth". I became a Metallica fan right when Master of Puppets was released. When I started digging for older stuff, I was blown away by this particular solo ( btw, for the guy who asked about effects, I'm pretty sure it's just a wah pedal and some distortion. I don't know if the distortion is amp or pedal generated.)

What I found most interesting was that this collection of relatively new bass players ( playing time measured in months or even weeks ) were devoting so much energy and time to learning this difficult solo. I'm not going to suggest that you shouldn't do this, not by a long shot. Exploring the wild, exciting stuff is part of learning and growing. JUST DON"T FORGET TO SPEND AN EQUAL, OR BETTER, AMOUNT OF TIME ON THE BASICS.:D :D

I can't stess this enough. Spend too much time on blistering hammers, pulls and taps and you'll be a flashy player. Flashy bassists usually don't get the job done. Their time is bad and bottom end non-existant.
    Listen to Cliff, hear how much time he devotes to just nailing the root, solid and consistant. Hammer-ons are cool, but really laying down the law of rhythym is a subtler, much more difficult discipline.

So enjoy your endeavors with Mr. Burton, but take yet another page from his book. Go listen to some Thin Lizzy, develop a sense of melody ( Cliffs was great!),

...and as long as it sounds good, there's NOTHING wrong with a pick.

Good luck on your growth as members of no doubt the coolest group of musicians around, Bassists:cool:
  13. Electroharmonix Big Muff Pi + Morley Power Wah are the effects you're after.

Keep rocking y'all.....
  14. I meant that more as a joke, Mole. Granted this solo is more meant for a fingerstyle of playing due to it's speed and line jumpings and what not. But I've seen pick players (Rex Brown of Pantera and Jason Newstead formally of metallica to name a couple) who are pretty damn fast players. I say if you can play it that way and it works...then do so.

As for me, I've decided to focus more on the basics for the time being. Pretty much I'm playing scales and modes with a metronome and working on my timing and rhythm. The only "solo" I'm trying to learn right now is "To Live is To Die" by Metallica (yes yes I know it's technically not a bass solo). It's a heavy song that's at a tempo I can handle at the moment.

To kinda back up what you said Lenny. I've heard quite a few bass players (espeically in guitar stores) playing hard solos such as "Pulling Teeth" or the intro to War Pigs. But it seems like your judged as a bass player based on "what songs you know".
    I'm not going to get onto my "soap box" about this because I have little experience in a band. But to me it seems like you should be better suited to keep the groove rather then play a solo. I'm not saying forsake the ability to play a solo, but learning the bassics will help your solos or fills sound better.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.