Anesthesia - Pulling Teeth

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jay, May 12, 2003.

1. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Not the song...

This morning I had all four of my wisdom teeth yanked. The upper and lower left teeth were the worst. One was still embedded deep in the gums, the other was directly pushing against my bottom row of teeth, it was practically horizontal. Best part of the whole shinannigan is, I loved it!

I'd heard horror stories of pain, agony, blood, etc, etc, whatnot. Man, it rocked. The anesthesia was so cool, I felt wonderful. It wore off a long time ago, and my pain medication did also. I feel fine, a little sore, but normal nonetheless. Very cool experience, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Thought I'd share, nothing else to do. :D
  2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I wanna be an anesthesiologist when i go to medschool. I figure the 'fringe' benifits might be kinda cool. Glad it was a pleasent experience for you... the first one i think i've ever heard.
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Ever hear of the DEA? They love anesthesiologists.

Food for thought.

4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I bet its fun as hell not being able to feel anything like that! I love when my foot falls asleep and it isn't tingling, and I can't feel it at all, and I move it and it feels like I have a prosthetic limb or something, or I can kick things and only in a few minutes will the pain become apparent.

Guess I shouldn't be worried about it then....I've heard many a horror story. I wonder how the situation turns out horrible for so many people?
  5. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Yes, it is indeed very cool. Kinda sucks when it's wearing off, because it wore off unevenly for me...I could feel the back of my tongue but not my chin. (?! weird).

Personally, I think it's all in the attitude. I went in there pumped and ready, I battled insurance for 5 months before I could get this done, so you better believe I was excited. Plus they gave me an IV, and I love IVs. I'm not sadistic or masochistic, it doesn't hurt to me, it just feels neat.

And the oxygen...ooooh, the oxygen. I remember laughing and smiling really big right before I zonked. It was like playing an awesome gig for a huge crowd that loves us, and all the while I've just fallen in love with a wonderful girl and she's standing right in front, cheering. With icecream. Strawberry cheesecake icecream. :D
  6. I've been on anesthesia twice. Both times upon awakening, I was disoriented and yelled at the nurses. I told a doctor to ... go pound sand. Fun times right there. :D
  7. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I have to get my wisdom teeth removed. A few thoughts.

The x-rays suggest this will not be a problem; they have erupted straight.

The surgeon runs through the options:
    "Do you want novacaine, twilight, ..."
    "I want maximum opiation!"

My peers, "It is not all that bad". Huh? I am shooting for "Not bad at all".

Thank you for sharing your positive experience. That is reassuring. Some folks, like yourself, Navy SEALS, sky divers, etc., ., kick ass. Life is a series of interesting experiences; make the most of it.

On the other hand, the surgeon says, "Not to wig you out, but if I fully put you under, ..., you could die. The chances are slim, but, just so you know."

What is that about?!

Does this happen a lot or is he just covering his bum?

I don't know if I am a lightweight or not; I don't drink et al. Would that be an indicator if you are going to die? Are there any indicators?

Anyhoo, glad you had a pleasant experience.

8. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Excellent! Mine were wicked bad. They used an IV/oxygen combo on me, worked like a charm!

Indeed, gotta take what life gives you and run with it. Make the best of everything, ya know?

I've never heard of that. I'm sure it's just to cover his bum. I mean, everytime you get up in the morning there's a chance you could die, simple as that. People have died from infected paper cuts (negligence I say)...remember that Weird Al Yankovic song "Everything You Know is Wrong" from back in the day? :D
  9. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    haha. Yeah, i'm sure. I've thought all about that. It just still seems like a job i'd be interested in. I wanna be that or a trauma surgeon.
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats what I do, not as exciting as it is portayed on TV though. Its alot of long hours and tears your heart out sometimes. But if it is what you are set on, first and foremost, grades are paramount. After that, community service projects look good on your record. Pre-Med is a good major, but any of the life sciences will be beneficial.

Then learn to go without sleep....for days. There are a couple here going through it now.

Good luck.

11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

That was Nitrous Oxide not Oxygen. Oxygen wont do that.

12. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH

Not to be a punk, doc, but it was oxygen. It was to help me breath (nose tubes) while he did the work, and so I wouldn't suck down any of the local anesthetic for my teeth and gums.

They used a calming general anesthetic IV to help me deal with the local anesthetic which would've burned immensely had they not given me the general first. The oxygen was just very cold and soothing, that's all. :) I know that wasn't why I lauged.

He explained it all very thoroughly before he did anything. I'm sure most people don't care or pay attention, but I was/am interested, so I made mental note. Good stuff.
  13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    [Steve Martin voice]
    When I was young and just a bad little kid,
    My momma noticed funny things I did.
    Like shootin' puppies with a BB-Gun.
    I'd poison guppies, and when I was done,
    I'd find a pussy-cat and bash in it's head.
    That's when my momma said...
    (What did she say?)
    She said my boy I think someday
    You'll find a way
    To make your natural tendencies pay...
    You'll be a dentist.
    You have a talent for causing things pain!
    Son, be a dentist.
    People will pay you to be inhumane!
    You're temperment's wrong for the priesthood,
    And teaching would suit you still less.
    Son, be a dentist.
    You'll be a success.
    "Here he is folks, the leader of the plaque."
    "Watch him suck up that gas. Oh My God!"
    "He's a dentist and he'll never ever be any good."
    "Who wants their teeth done by the Marqui DeSade?"
    "Oh, that hurts! Wait! I'm not numb!"
    "Eh, Shut Up! Open Wide! Here I Come!"
    I am your dentist.
    And I enjoy the career that I picked.
    I'm your dentist.
    And I get off on the pain I inflict!
    I thrill when I drill a bicuspid.
    It's swell, though then tell me I'm mal-adjusted.
    And though it may cause my patients distress.
    Somewhere...Somewhere in heaven above me...
    I know...I know that my momma's proud of me.
    "Oh, Momma..."
    'Cause I'm a dentist...
    And a success!
    "Say ahh..."
    "Say AHhhh..."
    "Say AAARRRHHHH!!!"
    "Now Spit!"
    [/Steve Martin voice]
  14. man, im glad to hear it.

i have to get that done this summer, or next summer. i payed a visit to the (tooth surgeon?) and man lemme tell ya - you have got to be a hard ass to be invloved in that kind of work. those guys are scary. the guy scared me. it seemed he tried to scare me away from getting the procedure done. he told me all the bad stuff. im like "oh, ****."

i have a fear of being put to sleep in that guys chair. its a locked room. ill be asleep with that scary guy in there. what if he unzips my....and.....

ok no!

but dude - im glad to hear that everything went really relieves me.:oops:

i hate surgery - but thank god it exists. its the necessary evil.:( ;) :D
  15. trinket

Nov 25, 2001
    office chair
    I had all four removed, under general anesthesia. In my mind, there is nothing better! ;) I am a big old baby and need Nitrous Oxide just to have a tooth cleaning. You bet your arse I wanted to be "out" for that. I was mortified having to set foot in an Oral Surgeon's office. :bawl:
    Those 4 bastards were full bone impaction. It did not look good, I was warned of how horrendous my teeth were lodged in there. I am a Pre-Med major myself and I knew the potential downfalls of it. Not to mention everyone has a damn wisdom tooth extraction horror story (wankers)
    Really, it was not that bad. Gross but not altogether terrible. Had lots of demerol, took care of the worries lickity slpit. :D
    I can still feel where there is a bunch of jaw bone missing from them tunneling through there with what must have been a jackhammer! hehehe
    Gotta love anesthetics, however not everyone is so lucky with general anesthesia.

happy healing, cross your fingers you don't look like a chipmunk tomorrow.
  16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I am lucky. My dentist says my mouth is big enough for all my wisdom teeth. I guess that's a compliment...:rolleyes:
  17. you said it:D
  18. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Man, that sounds horrible! Glad it's over with, eh? :D

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm actually not swollen much at all. Ah, the wonders of modern medicine. Today was a completely normal day, went to school, hung out, even played concert percussion for my last school concert tonight. Great!
  19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

I'm planning on going there myself. I'm already mentally preparing to bust my @$$ at Baylor :p

I was wondering--there has been a big debate here where I live about the cost of malpractice insurance. I've heard claims that for many doctors the insurance can be upwards of $70,000 per year. Is this true? I find that hard to fathom in every way possible, but I can also see where it could be true. Since you're the only doctor on the board (I think?), I figured you would know firsthand.

FWIW, I plan on going into radiology.
  20. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Lets clarify lots of things. Oxygen has no anesthetic effects whatsoever, the anesthetic you were given is called a "local with sedation". Probably a drug called Versed, generally short acting and just gives you amnesia, in other words, you dont remember if you felt anything or not. General anethetic requires mechanical ventilation and physiologic monitoring. The oxygen you were given is low flow in nature, generally 1-2 liters per minute. Thats just given as a just in case measure, will not stop you from swallowing your teeth, or anything else for that matter.

Not to be a punk.