Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anethesia [Pulling Teeth]

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Hexanity, Sep 15, 2001.

1. hello

i am having truble with Cliff Burton's bass solo
    i have got 2 the part where the drums kick in
    then i cant pick it up

maybe arnt good enough yet but it never sounds right

cheers

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :rolleyes:

3. I think you need to get your terms correct: You DRAW teeth (as any dentist will tell you), and you PULL someone's leg (as any comedian will tell you)...

;>

- Wil

4. ok ill try ;)

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    HI,

not having listened to Kill Em All for a number of years, I can't remember the exact bit you're talking about, but basically, if you can get a transcription of the music, and work through it SLOWLY, it should be possible - trying to play along with the CD straight off won't help you, you've got to get the fingering and the part down first, and then start to speed it up. If it was already within your technical grasp, then working it out off the CD would be easier, but if it is stretching you, then go and any buy the book of the music for the album. Also it's worth checking out the Cliff Em All video for a few different performances by Cliff of that solo, and variations on it in a live context.

have fun

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. ok thanx alot

have a good day

Hexanity

7. Wow Mr Lawson, I didn't know you were into Mettalica, considering your musical taste. Oh well hehe.

8. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Ah, Mr Paste, there's much you don't know about my music taste... :oops:)

now, what shall I put on next - Messiaen, Joni Mitchell, Pantera or the Spice Girls? choices choices... LOL

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. Well, I didn't mean what music you liked, just the kind you make. From what I've heard it's really atmospheric and such, like that. Not like the heavy-metal. No offense (I think?) :0)

10. samit

samit

Aug 5, 2001
    usa,sanantonio,tx
    Hey hex do u have those tripelt figuers in the part just before the drums kick in??? because there is a certian teqnique that cliff uses to play those tripelts. The music book tha has the whole solo is metallica riff by riff.A purple book that you can fin at MUsic land samgoody etc.. Hope my info helps see ya!

11. Really steve? So when should we expect your death metal debut? ;) :D