Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anger rising! Fading.... RISING!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    OK, so some of you saw my new Strangeberger that I just had a fretted Moses neck installed on. Installing this thing was really difficult, which was strange because the fretless neck went in so easy. The new fretted neck sat so high in the pocket that the bridge actually had to be shimmed to allow string clearance above the frets. I was very confused about this, and after I got both of the instruments home and took them both apart to see where the discrepency was. Turn out all the original body routes are of very close tolerances, and both bodies are almost identical. I start measuring out the necks, and lo and behold! The fretted Moses neck heel is almost 1/8" thicker than the fretless! :mad: I've already spent $140 getting the graphite neck installed (which requires a drill press, which I don't have), and now I've discovered that in order to make this new neck seat right I have to route out the neck pocket on one of my basses! I don't have a router, so I have to pay out some more cash for that. Grr... This was supposed to be a direct replacement neck. For two graphite necks to be 1/8" off from each other is unnacceptable.

Now, what to do? Call up Moses and complain and have them send me a new neck? I've already had the neck for 3 weeks, all of which time it was sitting in the shop. I've barely played it but two days. Get Moses to reimburse some of the cash I've invested into getting their neck to fit? Or just suck it up and dig into the neck pocket on the bass and pay out even more cash?

Man, I've not had much luck with Moses. They are nice necks, sound good, and feel good - but their customer service absolutely sucks, and now I've got a neck that is vastly different than what I percieve it should be. Thoughts?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id complain and ask for at least a partial reimbursement if not a new neck. If anything their fretless neck should be made with a deeper heel to compensate for the lack of fret height.

Id probably look into making the neck pocket shallower than making the body deeper if they dont give you the right neck though.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well for one thing I wouldn't route out the body. If the neck is off you will never find another one that will fit without having it made specifically for that body. Hopefully the new neck is the one that is off (which sounds right since you didn't have the problem with the first one...) at which point it would be (IOM) a MANUFATCTURING DEFECT. Which are typically covered by decent waranty's by any respectable company (i.e. I wouldn't worry about having it for 3 weeks. I doubt they will think you've been spending that time resizing the entire neck.) Most places give you at least a year on these types of things, just like if you strung it up and in 2 weeks it snapped in half. If I worked in their customer service dept. it would seem like a no brainer that you have a brand new neck coming to you. The only possible monkey wrench could be (but shouldn't) that you've drilled the holes in for the neck. I would just stand firm on the fact that until the neck was installed the fact that it was off was not readily apparent. Either way, it's defective and will probably be scrap in their mind, so 4 extra holes shouldn't be a big issue.

Good luck and keep us informed...

4. That sucks! I would definiteley give them a call before you suck up that much of a loss. If they are not willing to replace the neck, maybe you could get them to do the repair/mod for you, since they do build custom instruments as well. You shouldn't have to play your bass the way it is now. It seems like that would really throw the feel off quite a bit, having to shim the bridge up like that.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would hold out for a new neck, plus having them install it and pay for shipping both ways...

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

+1

PLEASE do not route the neck cavity any deeper!

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok, I've made the call and left a message (Moses NEVER answers the phone directly. Screening calls, mayhaps?). Let's see how long it takes for them to call me back....

8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    If you DO have to drill holes or route there is a luthier kinda near you (and me). His name is Scott French. He's usually in the Luthier forum. He's located just north of Sacramento. He could probably help you out.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    What about milling off .125 from the back surface of the heel? Then you'd have the right height, and you'd keep your "factory standard" pocket depth.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is graphite easily sandable?

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    You should be able to do this with a bench sander very easily. A new one can be had for roughly $100 or you could probably rent a really nice one for under $20.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *basswhore, got pics of spector yet?*

13. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I have heard so many bad things about Moses, both the products and the customer service. if you read the reviews most of them are very bad indeed. It's a real shame seeing how they are the biggest name in the graphite aftermarket.

14. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    HAHA! :) I am such a space cadet lately! I will REALLY try to remember to take pics tonight :)

15. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I can't shim anything off the neck, since graphite doesn't sand nor cut well, and the threaded metal inserts are already in there. It's a replacement or nothing.

Surprisingly, Moses called me back the same day. :eek: Too bad I missed the call, and now I'm playing phone tag. They did express quite a bit of surprise at how it could be so off spec since they come off a mold - I'm quite curious myself as to how that happened. Hopefully they will make good on it somehow.

16. You should change your name to Benjamin Furious. Or Benjamin Furious Strange. Yeah, that's it!

- Dave

oh, I'd find out what the source of the error is. If it's their fault, they should deal with it by giving you a properly fitted neck or your money back. If not, bring it to NAMM and beat them mercilessly with it.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I bet you'll find it's entirely within spec - for another heel pocket. Don't forget they make headless necks in several different configurations. I'll bet a donut someone grabbed the wrong mold off the rack.

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Are you sure about that? The carbon fiber polymers are generally tough on cutters, but they are cuttable. And they can be formed by sanding. Aside from the fact that finished-dimension rods do get that way from having been machined down from oversize, Matt Pulcinella makes neck with exposed fiber lams, that get shaped down right along with the wood: (@ bottom of page). If the inserts are long enough, you could skim them down along with the neck material.

Hopefully Steve Mosher will do whatever you need, so you don't have to.

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Not to get too far off topic, but that looks sweet, and I can't believe this:
    {edit} the pics from his site don't seem to want to come out and play here on TB :(
    http://www.mpguitars.com/Woodpickups.jpg
    [​IMG]

Totally encapsulating the pickups in the body!!! It'd be a nightmare to change pickups or replace if there were a problem with them, but it's a great idea and fine example of craftsmanship and planning ahead.

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Ok, Steve Mosher has instructed me to send the neck back. However, before I do, I wanted to make sure that I have all me facts straight to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I sat down with both basses today, took them apart, and measured them out. The only discrepencies I found in the body was that the fretted basses bridge actually sits in the body 1 mm higher, and the fretted neck itself is 1.5 mm thicker than the fretless. The frets are 1 mm high. Now here's the weird part: if the bridge is 1mm higher, and the neck is essentially 2.5 mm thicker (neck plus frets), then that should equal a total discrepency of 1.5 mm, right? Then why are my bridge saddles sitting almost all the way down on the fretless, but on the fretted I need to raise them about 6-7mm just to get string clearance? :confused: The amount of adjustment I need to make to get the strings to seat right on the fretted neck is HUGE, regardless of which body I put that neck on. Weird!

I'm going to take both in to my tech at my store tomorrow and see if he can see something that I'm missing.