Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Angled heel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pulseczar, May 19, 2004.

1. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    So, i buy this bass body off Ebay, (Ibanez SR400 old school) and when i went to check it out, i noticed the place to put the heel was angled. i checked out warmoth and all the other places to see if they offered angled heels, but they don't, so aside from making my own neck or ordering a completely custom neck, where else could i look for an angled heel?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You probably don't need one.

There are two basic ways to mount a neck - parallel to body and angled back. The former is the standard Fender way; the latter is seen on a Les Paul, and others.

If the bass is designed for angled back, you should see a gradual increase in height-off-body from the neck pup to the bridge pup to the bridge, moreso than on a Fender type.

If this is the case, then all you need is a standard back-of-heel-parallel-to-fingerboard neck, and mount it the normal way into the angled pocket to achieve the angled-back neck.

3. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I think he means that the rout in the body is not square or symmetrical, but has a point to it. Soundgears, MTD's, and our Gecko necks are like this, but we don't build replacements for them (except the Gecko of course.)

4. pulseczar

pulseczar

May 7, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    [​IMG]

theres the picture of my bass.

So can i use a standard neck or resort to making one?

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Righto, Brian.

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I don't know of anybody making a mass-produced replacement for that, so you're probably left with building one from scratch (or finding a soundgear with a trashed body and a good neck...)