angled jazz pup... why, and how.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jordan_frerichs, Jul 7, 2008.

1. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    whats is with the slanted neck jazz pups, like on warwick basses? i like the look, but their has got tobe a purpose. was curious of what that was. whatdoes it do to the sound? how do i route for that? what angle does it go across the center? what else can you tell me?

2. more emphasis on fundimentals on the bass strings, going towards more harmonics on the treble side...not unlike what a P bass does...

looks cool, to me, too...and it may help with slapping and popping...but not much...

make a template and stick it down at the angle you want...

3. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    I have one of those double jazz "brick" pickups that I'm considering putting into a franken-precision. Since I would be putting an imitation stingray pickup in the bridge position and a precision pickup in the relative usual area I would need to put it closer to the neck. The only problem is that it was made to be a bridge position pickup so the poles wouldn't match up very well with the strings; that's my reason for angling the pickup. :)

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021