1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Angled nut on BTB 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Do some of the 5 string Ibanez BTB's have an angled nut?

I played a gig last weekend and at the end I got up and jammed with everyone on the other band's bassist bass and I swear it had an angle nut on it.

Here's a pic of the other guy playing it where you can actually see what I'm talking about.

47b6da24b3127cce98548b80b3cf00000017108IcuG7Zuzcs.

2. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    a nut with strings running UNDER it? Has to be something else...

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It may be a band of some sort. Looks like it's covering the strings, IMO. I know 'Victa' and other bassists use hair scrunchies or other type of bands as sort of a mute so the strings don't ring out. I just checked the Ibanez website and looked at all the BTB 5'rs and all had straight nuts. If it is his nut, it still shouldn't be crooked like that as there is a slot for the nut to sit in and the tension of the strings would keep it in place for the most part. You think you could contact the bassist and ask?

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    huh? not sure what you are asking.

Look at the nut in that picture........the nut where the G string is is a lot closer to the bridge while the nut where the B string is is closer to the headstock.. see what I"m talking about?

5. Steve19

Steve19

Jun 1, 2005
    Hamilton Ohio
    i believe all of them do. i just checked my btb 5 string and its the same way on the E string the nut is angle downward abit just like the one in that pic.
    Edit: yah the E and the G nuts are angled just a tiny bit, looking at the back of mine,

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

E & G nuts?? I thought the nut was one continious piece??

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Here's all the BTB 5 strings and all the nuts look straight to me!
    BTB1205
    [​IMG]
    BTB205
    [​IMG]
    BTB455
    [​IMG]
    BTB555
    [​IMG]

8. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    looks like a black pony tail holder.... my BTB has a straight nut.

9. Steve19

Steve19

Jun 1, 2005
    Hamilton Ohio
    maybe i mis understood what he was asking then, i thought he was refering to the tuneing nuts/pegs whichever ya call em since some call em differntly,

Edit: bah this is what i get for checking forums out while on pain meds. i see what he's refering to now, that is jsut liek a hair tie or such thats been moved a lil, alot of bassiest will use those ot mute strings they dont want rining at differnt times, like vic and a few others are good examples of it.

10. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've never heard it called a tuning nut. Tuning peg, tuner and tuning machine, but never tuning nut. Maybe it's lingo from elsewhere.

11. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Yea it must just be a ponytail holder or something. I played it later that night, but I was about 8 or 9 beers deep and it was close to 2 a.m. and I had totally forgotten about looking at it.