Angled or "kickback" combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NortyFiner, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I've been considering the shortcomings of my GK MB212-II, which do not get me wrong, is an excellent amp. In fact, it's really more amp than I need, and that's a good thing. But I have ID'd two things I don't like about it.

First is the top rear placement of the controls. I would rather have the controls accessible from the front without having to go and bend over the whole thing to see and make adjustments.

Second is that it's just a box that sits upright. I used to have a Behringer BXL1800, and one thing I really liked about it was that it could either sit upright or be kicked back and angled up like a monitor. To my ears, that improved the dispersion and gave me a much fuller impression of sound, as opposed to sitting upright and beaming across the floor.

I could just get some sort of stand or ramp for my MB212 to sit on, but that would make the controls even more inaccessible. And I am playing much more for myself than others these days, so I don't care as much about projecting to a crowd. To that end, I am looking for an angled combo to possibly move in and replace my MB212, mostly for my own enjoyment.

Options I know about:

- Going back to the Behringer BXL series, which I'm pretty sure is out of production so I would have to buy used. The main thing keeping me from that is the rat fur, which doesn't stay clean and would end up being a scratching post for my cats.

- The Ampeg BAv2 series, probably the 115 or 210. I have tried these a bit at my local GC and have a favorable impression of them. They can be angled (albeit by turning them sideways) or set upright, and have a good set of features for both home and stage use.

- The Hartke KB12 and KB15, which are strictly kickbacks with no option to be set upright. They also aren't as fully featured as the Ampegs or Behringers.

Does anyone else know of any other angled or kickback style amps I should look at, or have any other related recommendations? Thanks in advance for constructive input. :)

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Do you play with active basses or passive? I only ask because it affects how much you need to tinker with the amp itself. I play with a 3 band bass and in a live setting I set the volume and eq on the amp while my bass's volume is at 75% and eq is flat. I find this enables me to never have to touch my amp while I'm playing. I have more headroom if I need to adjust my volume and I can boost or cut my bass, mid, treble on the bass. Just an idea.

I have this stand and it works fine.

Also sounds like you might be able to benefit from this amp wedge.

The GK is a fine amp and I much prefer it over the other 3 brands you've listed.

3. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    My current main bass is passive, but I have used both active and passive at different times. And of course, who knows what the future holds -- if the right active bass came along...

That amp wedge looks interesting, though I'd be concerned about center of gravity; the MB212 is relatively light and tall for a combo. And again, it just tips the controls farther back; I fully admit to being a compulsive knob tweaker.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I wouldn't worry too much. I have the MB115 (v1) and they're very similar in size and weight. I've never used the wedge, but I had no problems with it on the stand.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  6. Hey Norty

If you are touring with a budget and always have full PA support, monitor wedges are just the ticket. Get a few powered ones for the band and keep them isolated with bass guitar only - it allows you to keep any bass guitar signal from muddying up the vocal monitors. The band, monitor mixer and FOH person will all love you. The band loves the idea of controlling their own volume on their bass monitor and it gives more of a real time "feel" when you are moving a little air. Great for supplementing the in-ear monitors too.

It will also give your FOH person an honest shot at making the mains sound full and well-balanced, without any distracting or directional stage interference pointing at the audience from some overkill bass stack. The powered type are only a couple of hundred bucks and are fine for the other band members. I am partial to the Eden stuff myself:

EEM25XXXX-P.jpg

I have toured since 1999 with the Eden Metro and love it. The cab below is very close to what you get with the Metro. Next time we go out I will add one of these for me - buy a couple of the powered ones for the band - and be off and running. I can give the Metro to the drummer as his bass monitor.

91sZJDQ8RQL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  7. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021