1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Angled pickups on Dingwall, Roscoe. Which works best?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blueinred, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Since I have never had the pleasure of trying a bass with pickups not 90* to the bridge, I'm curious as to the effect this has. My engineering mind leans toward having the PUPS slightly angled towards the bridge under the lowest frequency strings to reduce "boominess" and gain articulation like on the Dingwall designs, as opposed to angled the other way as on some Roscoes. I understand that the bridge on the Dingwalls is angled, also, but in general I would think I'd favor the EQ'ing resulting from the low string magnets more towards the bridge than the higher strings, even on a non-"fanned frets" bass.

Any insights on these designs? :confused:

2. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Those of us who prefer the "reverse P" configuration would favor the angle away from the bridge, but to each his own.

3. sq105

sq105 Country Squire

Jan 19, 2013
    Owen Sound, Ontario
    Gibson's G3s have adjustable angle pups toward the bridge. I like the variation in tone. My L5 (gibson guitar) comes with neck pup angled toward the bridge too, but the angle isn't adjustable. Not really.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You can probably find a Warwick Thumb bass to play around with more easily than those other brands. It has an angled bridge pickup and a more mid oriented sound.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Check out the geometry of the pickups compared to the bridge and nut on a Dingwall... You'll see that it's both simpler and more complex than your question suggests. They're fanned to match the compound scale length.

6. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    You mean like this?

dingwall+reverse+P.

This is my new baby (Dingwall Super P5) scheduled to be here 11/8/13.

I am not an engineer so I can't offer anything at that level.

As a player (and speaking with great ignorance) there are clearly two different things going on here. Angled on Dings because of the 35 inch B scale versus 32.5 on the G.

Pick ups reversed after advice from the from Grand Wazoo that was able to play the prototype and compare to normal Dingwall P Tone pick up placement.

He stated that reverse P added a hint more articulation to the B, while warming/softening edge/attack of the G just a hair. Most important issue for reverse P set up was uniform tone and attack from string to string.

In the end I think it is simply bite/clarity versus warmth, which is likely magnified as you move the entire pick up closer to the bridge.

Which one works best? I honestly have no idea. It may come down purely to individual tonal taste.

Finally, I suspect that pick up winding/voicing would play a huge role in how it responds to an angled adjustment/placement.

7. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Here is mine:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/different-custom-p-style-bass-755914/

The neck pickup is in the same position proportionally as the D-G segment of a Precision pickup. It sounds like a Precision, with just the slightest more edge on the E and A strings, as surmised in the post above about a "reverse" Precision pickup, due to the placement. The bridge pickup sounds like all bridge pickups should.

The angle of the pickup is not what matters. What matters is the specific point under the string that the pickup is sensing, and will produce the same relative tone as the conventional counterpart, as modified by the make, model and tonality of the pickup. The pickups on my bass are fanned in the same proportion as the variable scale of each string. I just prefer a bar style pickup to a Precision split pickup.

8. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    Man, I want that bass. That is all anyone needs, I think.

For me, I think if I had either (and I don't) I'd go for the low string magnets leaning towards the bridge as it would actually even things out, clarity wise. I have basses that could benefit from that. I couldn't imagine having them the other way.