angry bass distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SRSiegel, Jan 13, 2004.

1. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Hey me out please?

This is my first post in quite a while. Before I ask this question I did try a search, and actually read all three pages of threads in the effects forum, if I missed anything I'm sorry. anyways...

I'm working on starting a new band and I need a good distortion pedal or some sort. I had a Boss OBD-3 for a while and hated it, sounded too nasal for my taste, it seemed like the distortion was too fine, i want something more coarse.

Most importantly I want the sound to be thick, and retain all of my bottom end down to the B string. Looking for an "angry wall of bass" sound.

Id like something with a blend control for the dry/wet signal, a decent eq, and quiet operation when the pedal isnt on. I like the idea of the digitech bass driver, (the morph pot) but I only liked one of the sounds they had on their website (the heaviest fuzz) and I think it lacked something... it sounded too processed to me.

So do you guys have any suggestions for me to look into? Of course I'll try before I lay down any money, but just tryin to narrow the field down. Thanks yall.
  2. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    well maybe your search was too specific... Do you know if you want "Overdrive", "Distortion" or "Fuzz"?

Generally, a good overdrive can get all the way from hairy to angry, and some fuzzes START at angry.

For blistering walls of sound, look into Z. Vex fuzz pedals (Woolly Mammoth, or a Woolly Mammoth plus a Machine). If that's too unruly for you (as it was for me) then maybe a Prescription Electronics Depth Charge, which is a fuzz with a hint of octave-up effect, and has a wet/dry blend.

On the OD side, tubes will keep your low end happy, so try a Budda PhatBass, or a Mesa preamp pedal - but if you still want that wet/dry blend, there is a great one in the Voodoo Lab SparkleDrive.

I'm currently awaiting a Depth Charge and Mesa/Boogie V-Twin to audition for myself, if those don't work out I'll probably hit up the ol' SparkleDrive because it has been my favorite so far and I kinda regret selling it.
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    While playing around with Behringer V-amp Pro, I found some nice overdrives in the middle (banks)...
  4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    id like something that can give me that blistering wall of sound you speak of, although the ability to tone it down might also be a good idea. so maybe im looking for a good quality overdrive, that can give me a lot of distortion at high gain levels, while keeping the bottom end.

if tubes are the way to go, than maybe i should look at the budda phatbass, the EHX Hot tubes, maybe the Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor?

am i going in the right direction?

thanks again.
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    ehx hot tubes is blistering for sure (Y)
  6. I used to swear by my big green Sovtek Big Muff, but sold it when I sold all my gear 3 years ago (don't ask). Recently, I was jamming with a guitarist who had not one, but 3 DOD FX69 Grunge Pedals! (not all in line, just lying around). He thought they were the greatest. Since I didn't have anything, I plugged my bass into the Grunge. Wow! Good distortion sound with plenty of bottom! (my usual ideal 'distortion' sound nowadays is old school Geddy Lee or Larry Graham's sound on "The Deep End") Best of all, you can score 'em for only 30-40 bucks! Ironically, I've never tried the bass grunge.

Give it a shot.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The bass grunge, I'd forgotten all about that one. That's certainly an angry distortion. Dod FX92. I think it's discontinued now, but they do come up on ebay pretty regularly.
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ive found thanks to greg edwards and justin chancellor that a rat with some added bottom (be it eq or moddified) is a mean beast to play with.
  9. the marshal guv'nor is a pretty mean distortion
  10. what are the differences between the 2 models of guvnors?

11. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    top reissue

bottom original
  12. the new guv'nor also is smaller and has another control, deep... sounds really good with bass
  13. so the newer one is the one i wanna get? i heard that tim commerford uses one of these, does he use the new one or reissue? thanks
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Tim uses the original...modified. I've often pondered the idea of building my own since the originals sell for over $100 used.
  15. hmm crazy! i still dont have a big muff damnit :mad: so ill get that first.
  16. heh, collect em all... you can never have enough distortions
  17. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've had one build to my own designs - by a fella here in england. i cant wait for it to arrive next week *dead excited*
  18. I'm building one, I'm trying to figure out the input and output formula for precise response in and out of the clipper. I'm actually thinking I can calibrate the input buffer with resistors and couple frequencies from two separate capacitors to generate one response. Sort of like a high and low crossover leading into the same device. The clipping device doesn't matter, it's just the damn frequency response.
  19. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    thanks for the wisdom yall. i tried building a distortion with a guitar playing friend once, it was a clone of a big muff... all i gotta say is you guys have balls... i will never attempt that again, too much time for zero results.

keeping the deepest bass frequencies is the most important to me, so should i stick to a tube unit? are solid state units designed for bass (like the DODFX92 Bass Grunge, or the Proco Juggernaut) able to keep the low end as well as a tube driven overdrive/distortion? I may take a trip to GC this weekend to check some things out... thanks again.
  20. telebass

Jan 16, 2004
    Try Tech21 NYC Bass Driver DI.
    It can go from clean to tons of overdrive while maintaing the low end of the bass. It's the only effect I've found that really does this well. plus it has an xlr output for running into the P.A. It can create a monster bass sound. It gets the bass sound I've wanted for years.