Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by metalguy2, Mar 25, 2005.

1. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I have been in a band for about 1 year now. And we have never had a show or even a singer. We have been practicing consistently for the whole time. And we have just recently decided to record the demo. Since we have no vocalist I thought it would be really great to get the vocalist from my other band to do the demo. I asked.. and he said he would do it.
    I thought things were all fine and dandy until he says " I wish you would have asked me" Apparently he wanted to do the vocals and write the lyrics. Which I had an idea he wanted to do these things. But I was totally sick of waiting around for any of them. Now what I am planning on doing as of now is just telling the vocalist to stop doin the lyrics. And tell this kid to get off his ass and start doin the ****.
    I am actually completely floored at the moment.. so I needed to let off some steam and get it off my chest. What do you guys think?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Need a bit of clarification on who said "I wish you would have asked me"... I'm guessing someone in your band said that? If so, try 'em both out and make a decision as a group which direction you want to take.

3. A few too many pronouns without antecedents in that post.

4. Yeah. What he said.

Help us help you Metalguy2.
  5. well, there's two options. quit, or suffer. a band that doesn't do anything but practice with a limited lineup is prettymuch doomed to do anything else. my band might come out of it's 6 month slump with a new guitarist that can really play, but until then, we're a joke.
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I've stopped calling bands without a full lineup bands. Until then they are "projects".

I've had a number of guitarists try out for my current "project". Up til now none has worked out. That's why its still a project.

Faced with your situation I'd probably quit and focus my attentions more completely on the other band, simply because it sounds like you are the only serious person in this act, which is a recipie for long term failure and not a fun ride along the way.
  7. Let me see if I have this straight. You've been working on songs for a year with vocals and no singer. You have studio time set up to record this years worth of songs with no singer.
    Seems to me like somethings a little out of order here. :confused:
  8. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    We have been working on songs for a year without a singer. And we have a computer with some nice stuff to record wit. So we have been doin a demo. So we can at least have something.

The person who said "I would you would have asked me." Is one of the other guitar players."
  9. You never can predict and individual in the band, it’s all about trust. Hopefully the person is just as serious as you are, if not, never let this person are anyone else stop you form your desires! Sounds like you’re ready to do your thing, go for it and don't hole back. Pick the best one for the JOB!!!

10. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Also; the slower you talk, the better the guitarist understands :)
  11. Just my two cents worth.

If there isn't a complete line up, all the parts, then it isn't a band. It is still a project.

I tend to think that the band, without all of the parts, is just a bunch of guys dinking around.

If you like the folks that you are playing with then sit down have a "band" meeting and get focused on what it is that this particular "band" is trying to do/achieve. If they just want to play with themselves and do some recording, and if you don't, then let them know what you want out of the "band." If they agree then no issues, if not gracefully bow out.

No need to burn bridges. It is a simple thing of everyone needs to be on the same road going the same way for mostly the same reasons. If not change roads.