Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Angry shop owners

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whiteshadow, Jul 16, 2002.

1. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    Does it anger shop owners when people go in and play on their guitars for awhile and buy only picks? I went to a store Sunday with a friend to get strings and picks and we decided to play around for awhile and the workers seemed angry when we left with only picks and strings... is this normal?

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, that happens to a lot of people, especially the ones who play mettalica, or "stairway to heaven" and then leave

3. Definitely. The smaller the store, the more angry people get. This is why I love Sam Ash to death. Most of their stores are big, usually busy and now that I'm not a kid, they don't bother me when I check stuff out. I also usually buy something when I go in, not just to be polite, but, due to G.A.S. This is why I also love buying online. You open up a box and are usually pleasantly surprised. And nobody pressured you to buy anything, except; that's right - Mr. G.A.S.

Mike J.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The main store I frequent, Atomic Music, isn't a big chain store. You can hang out as long as you want. The owners know that eventually you'll either buy something or you won't. In that kind of environment it makes doing business with them seem like the right thing to do, when you can.

5. I get the opposite. There's a little store near me, and I've known the owner for years. He never seems to mind when I come by and check out a bass that's hanging on his wall for a little while, even if I have no intention of buying it. Of course, I've bought plenty of stuff from him in the past, so I guess he figures one of these days I will again.

Guitar Center and Mars employees just look annoyed when anyone picks up a bass or a guitar, but probably because they're expecting to hear 'Crazy Train' for the thirty-seventh time in an hour.

6. I manage a store, and I have no objection to people playing. They might only buy 1 pick today, but that Epiphone Gothic Les Paul they were just torturing Might just create a severe enough case of GAS for them to come back one day with their father and his Visa Card!! I believe that if you are friendly and accomodating to a 14 year old now, one day he might be a lawyer, and then he can afford a Martin, Taylor, Gibson or whatever.
    The only thing I ask is that they are very careful not to knock the instruments, and that they dont wear buckles or zips which might mark the back of the guitar.