1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anhydrous Ammonia

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JAdamCotterBass, Oct 2, 2013.

1. JAdamCotterBass

JAdamCotterBass Banned

Sep 29, 2013
  2. JAdamCotterBass

JAdamCotterBass Banned

Sep 29, 2013
    oh, nevermind, on further research seems dangerous. still.... curious.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I called my brother about this - he's a chemist. He said there is no reason it would not work, although we both agree that "hardness" is a relative term, and might refer more to how the fibers are crushed together when bent giving 'relative' hardness. He also pointed out this would be a very dangerous proposition even if you had the proper equipment and know-how, which is not all that common. He also said that a lot has developed in the nearly 30 years since those articles were compiled, in legal circles and in control of chemicals. Setting this up might just draw the attention of the local law enforcement wondering if you're cooking meth in addition to those fancy guitar necks... :D

4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Not a builder but I am around his stuff at regular intervals . I don't work with it but work at various facilities that have it on site . I have had classes on safety and how to evacuate if a leak occurs.

It will hurt you bad.

It will make law enforcement investigate you.

Good luck.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Around here people steal it from dairy farms to cook meth. (I think it's used for refrigerating barns). When they steal enough they just take off and leave the tank open. It kills all of the livestock when it leaks out.

I wouldn't mess with it. It's inherently dangerous stuff, and the cops are gonna wonder what you're up to.

6. I've seen wood-bending done with ammonia without going to the full anhydrous ammonia (100% ammonia).

Chemical supply places have stronger ammonia concentrations (20% - 30%) than the household ammonia concentrations (5% -10%) Soaking in the 20% - 30% stuff can yield results close to the results from anhydrous ammonia without anywhere near the level of danger.

OTOH, it's always been my understanding that ammonia bending yields amazing aesthetic results, but does leave the wood weaker.

P.S. even the 20% - 30% stuff creates a lot of safety concerns. It's just not nearly as nasty as the 100% stuff.

7. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I've used it, but there are some risks. For example, if a kid on a dirtbike sees you, you'll have to shoot him on sight. Also, it may be best to abduct an expert and keep him chained to a sliding fixture on your ceiling to make sure it turns out proper.

funkbass187 likes this.
  8. Drop-D

Drop-D

Mar 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    Chemistry major, here.

It's generally believed to be used for a lot more harm than good, thus the substance raises a lot of flags. It is the kind of thing kept under lock and key here at a university.

9. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Ammonia bending is very effective, and extremely dangerous. In my experience, it's not worth the risk unless you're set up with all of the safety gear to do it properly.

10. This:

:D:D:D

11. flameworker

flameworker

Jun 15, 2014
    Landenberg, Pennsylvania
    one day....
    I leaned more about ammonia bending from a furniture refinisher, I was used in olden times by violin maker!!! I also darkens the wood and changes the porosity and grain, among other things. Not Anhydrous but some other strength.

Wood Alchemy!!