Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ani DiFranco

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, May 7, 2002.

1. I just bought her album "Up Up Up Up Up Up", and I must say I dig it very much. I had no idea which album was her best so I just randomly selected it and came out pleasently surprised. Anyone else dig her stuff and if so, which album is your favorite? Thanks.

2. Yeah, I really like that album. Her stuff can be fairly diverse from one to the next. She has a great female bassist whose name escapes me at the moment.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    her bassist is really good...I just recorded the song "swing" for a cd I'm doing with my schools advanced band...in the middle of my solo I broke the G...but I kept going and our director said it was the best take we'd had.

4. CtheOp

CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    Ani has been known to use 2 different female bassists. Although I don't have that album, your likely hearing either Sara Lee or Claire Kenny.

Sara Lee has done a lot of work with Indigo Girls and you've probably seen her with the B52's. Very boppy stuff and she gives many of the Indigo Girls tunes really interesting bass lines. I recommend the IG's highly.

Claire Kenny is currently touring with the Indigo Girls and was the bassist for their just-released new album. Again, a very solid bassist with creative licks and interesting phrasing.

I am going to see the Indigo Girls next month here in Toronto. Promises to be a great show. I'm bringing my binoculars so I can steal some new bass licks.

5. Good choice Bassline1414 - up up up up up up is my favorite album of hers. Check out Little Plastic Castle, too.

CTHEOP - actually a guy named Jason Mercer is her main bassist these days, handling everything on Up Up... and most of "Little Plastic Castle", with Sara Lee doing 3-4 tunes.

I liken Ani's acoustic playing to a sort of Stanley Clarke slap style. Very impressive. Her voice is amazing. There's so much character to it.

Lyrically very political and liberal. Not my leanings but I don't care because I love her music.

6. I agree about her voice...shame she doesn't shave her armpits in the "Up Up Up Up Up Up" booklet! :D

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Ani's great....everything she does is cool! Great lyrics & music....and she does it herself, no record companies! A good Ani C.D. is the live " Living In a Clip" with Sarah Lee on bass.....very nice grooves!
    Ani's indi lable Righteous Babe has some cool stuff on her roster...including a solo album by Sarah Lee and a cool band called Drums & Tuba.
    Ani is one of my favorite artist...I can't say enough good stuff about her!

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ani is amazing. She just brings a unique style into things. I have her "VH1 Hard Rock Live" performance taped from a few years ago, it blew me away. I get bored of these female guitarists being like every other female guitarist. Ani is unique in her lyrics, unique in her playing, unique in everything.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Ani is definatley great. She has everything: views, great guitar playing, great vocal emotion, vocal songs, very beautiful physically. I love the bass part on "Two Little Girls".