1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anigre for body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jisch, Nov 20, 2018.

1. I was at the woodmill yesterday and they had a long board of anigre for $50 with nice figuring throughout. I bought it because my wife was with me and we enable each others' wood hoarding tendencies.

I am thinking of using it in the middle of a hippie sandwich on a through neck. It seems to be about has hard as walnut on the janka scale. The one negative I read about it is that some anigre trees can have a lot of silica in them and therefore will dull tools pretty quickly. It's kind of a golden color with a very slight brownish hue.

Anyone use this before?

2. Hey Jisch

I have some 1/16" and 1/8" slices to use as accent stripes, but haven't used any as of yet. I wanted ro score some thin board holly but it wasn't around - the anigre I found was as close to white as I could get.

Jisch likes this.
  3. If I recall correctly the first dyed solid black veneer I bought was labeled as anigre. Not having seen the pre-dyed wood I figured it was a fairly light colored wood, but this stuff very definitely has some color to it, not a ton, but some.

4. The stuff I found was pretty white with subtle grain. If I get a chance I will take a picture or two - but I noticed that there was variation in some of the other boards I saw for sale. It's good looking wood, I think. Didn't know it could be rough on tools, but for accent stripes it shouldn't be much of an issue. I don't know enough about it when you are talking other uses such as bodies, necks, fretboards. I wonder too, how suitable it is.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  5. View attachment 3222707 Not sure why I didn't take a picture before, but here's two samples, it's an 8 foot board, but this is representative. This is pretty close to the color as well 20181121_165837.

Attached Files:

Beej and BassHappy like this.