1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Animal Logic

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by musicman5string, Apr 10, 2006.

1. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Is anyone familiar with this band?
    Stanley Clarke on bass, Stewart Copeland on drums, and a singer/songwriter named Deborah Holland, with various guest artists, most notably Michael Thompson on guitar.
    The put out 2 albums: one in 1989 (Animal Logic I) and one in 1991 (Animal Logic II).
    I used to love them, especially when I was going though my "Stanley" phase. Just recently I began listening to them again. There's some really good tunes on there, but I also realized Stanley is playing some great bass lines, as well as getting a really good tone (tones).
    Too bad they broke up; I guess the albums sold very little...

2. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    IIRC, the albums had too much of a country-pop feel to them for my taste. From what I understand, though, the group disbanded because Stanley grew more involved in movie soundtracks, and Stewart started producing musicals.

The playing was excellent, mind you, just not the kind of music I enjoyed at the time. Maybe I should track down one of their CDs and give 'em another listen, though, it was 15 years ago.

3. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    What does IIRC mean?:bag:

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    If I Recall Correctly

And, IIRC, I enjoyed both albums at the time, but the only tune I can remember 15+ years on is "There's A Spy (In The House Of Love)".

5. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    Yea, I still have both of those albums, I really liked them a lot. I'll have to listen to them later tonight. I saw Animal Logic live in this tiny club in San Jose. It was really pretty cool to see Stanley, Stewart Copland, and the group in a place where I was like right on top of the stage. It was kind of a trip - I had never heard of Animal Logic, and I'm walking down the street and see this flyer. I was kind of like, wait a minute, that's Stanley Clarke, wow, that's tonight, I should go check that out. It was very cool. That was such a great context for Stanley too. He sounded solid and his production was totally happening. I enjoyed Debrah Holland's singing and songwriting as well. Too bad it was only two albums

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    +1 I dug them too! Used to cover 'I Won't Be Sleeping Anymore' in a band I was in 15 years ago. Now I know what CD's to dig out tonight, cool!

7. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I really liked both of these CD's. I also have a Debra Holland solo CD done after this, it is also quite nice, even without Clarke and Copeland.

Check out Stewarts new Orchestrilla CD, nominated for a grammy.

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Both are great sleeper CD's that not too many people are hip to. Deborah is a great writer and how can you go wrong with Clarke/Copeland?

I used to have a great live show of them I taped from radio. They sounded incredible in a live setting. If I could just find that old tape!

9. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

:hyper:

I'd love to hear that!

10. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

If I come across it, I'll let you know. I need to locate it and get it on CD.

11. Chip Boaz

Chip Boaz

Apr 23, 2004
    I'd love to hear that live show too. I'd be curious to check out the Deborah Holland CD too - what's it called and when did it come out?

12. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    *LOL* Right, the rhythm section was not too shabby ;)

I complelty forgot about A.L....and I can recall "Spy in the house of love" after not hearing it since 1989. I gotta get those CDs.

13. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    I still have their 2 albums...and they still get play all these years later. The music holds up to time really well. I used to be a HUGE fan, and was lucky enough to be living in the LA area during their tenure, so I caught a few gigs and got to meet them. Seriously cool people, and Stew is one (if not THE) of my fav. drummers of all time. Killer combo of musicians...

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Those albums do hold up very well!! I listened to them both last night after way too much time. This place[TB] rocks for reminding me from time to time of some gems I have in my collection, and need to hear again.

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    yeah they opened some shows for Van Halen at one time. I had the first album.

16. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

:eyebrow:

17. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Does anyone think Stanley uses a bass synth pedal on the second album? There's definitely something unusal about his tone on tunes like "Love In Ruins" and "I Won't Be Sleeping Anymore"....

18. I had both of their records (as cassettes, in the day) and couldn't hum you a single tune if I tried, lol, so I guess I found them forgetable in the songwriting front. I do remember I did like the playing, though :D .

19. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Is your user name from Radiohead's "Paranoid Android"?

20. You sir, are correct!