1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Animal lovers only, please.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by teedub, May 9, 2006.

1. Hi,
    My pet of 21 years (I've had him since I was 7) is about to be put down. He's really deteriorated over the past month, and my folks have made the executive decsion that Friday morning is "the day". Now this has been building for years. He's always been in great health, and the vet is always happy to see him come back for his shots every year. He's had a clean bill of health for the past 20 years. However, at the beginning of March, things started to go South. He's been blind since he was 8 and deaf since he was 12, but has always been a great, happy and healthy dog. He's a Maltese, but I'll spare you the details. The Reader's Digest version is that he wandered into my Dad's work, and my softee of a Dad quickly made him his own. We've had him ever since. He's been in diapers for the past 10 months, and we've expected the worst since then, but the worst just began recently. The vet thinks he had a stroke, and his organs are slowly failing. It's a sad sight indeed, and though I'm a grown adult that has been out of the house for some time, this saddens me. I realize he's "checked out" some time ago, but I've got pics of him all over my office, and always remember the good times. I realize that no one can really say anything to make me feel "better", the fact that you've read this far makes me feel better already. Don't feel obligated to post "I'm so sorry" or anything along those lines. Just know that I'm having a difficult time with something I've been trying to prepare for, for the last few years. This is hurting all of my family, but they know it's his time. I just hope that he can make the decision for us before Friday morning. Nothing would relieve me more than a phone call from my Mother tomorrow morning, telling me that Benji "didn't wake up this morning". I want him to go on his own terms.

I knew it was coming, but it still hurts like crazy. Thanks for listening.

2. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know how you feel. We had a dog named Lucky who cheated death a few times. We got her from a farmer that didn't need her, so he was going to shoot her (idiot). Years later, she knocked down a tupperware thing with 8 cups of chocolate in it, and ate it all. She twitched in the back yard all day, but lived. When she got old, she had to have a historectomy due to a bleeding problem, but made it through. Then she had an inner ear infection that made her so sick and dizzy, she wouldn't eat. So we made her this beef and rice and veggie stuff so she could get better. We had to eventually have her put down a while later because she eventually got sick to where she wouldn't eat, go to the bathroom, or move. She was the best dog I have EVER had, and I miss her a lot.

But, one great memory that will always stick out in my mind is the time she took my moms slipper and tossed it around and played with it. It was the first time she had ever really played with a toy by herself. She tossed it around and rolled around with it, and she was almost 14 at the time. We even got pictures, because it was so funny.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    it's a tough call for sure. I just had to put another cat down on Easter Sunday. She was ~15 and another stray we took in years ago (the wife and I met working at a shelter and we 'stole' a few cats that were scheduled to be killed to make room for more). We came home to finder her struggling to breathe and paralized on one side. She had been in rough shape but mostly ok for a while as well. We just couldn't stand to see her suffer like she was when we came home and found her.

5. That's awesome. If this thread can also re-kindle some memories of your lost loved ones, please feel free to share.

My dog used to love sitting on the driver's shoulders on the way to the lake (Either my Dad or myself).

There's lots more, but I've got to hit the hay........

Feel free to vent...

6. James, you guys are commendable. The guitarist in my old band did a similar act of selflessness. He adopted on older dog that was scheduled to be put down for no good reason. She's alive and well 2 years later, and cute and lovable as ever, spreading her joy. Love ya Maggie. :)

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    i almost ran over my current dog in a bad neighborhood that I was delivering pizzas in. She just zipped in front of my car. Then disappeared. I went to deliver the pizza, and she jumped at my leg. She pretty much jumped in my car. So, I took her with my for the rest of my shift and then took her home. I still have the little ball of energy.

8. That's a great story.:crying:

F***, I'm just a ball of stress right now.

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I still remember my old Lady Dog. She was our golden retriever before i was born. I came out at about the same time as her puppies, which is my theory as to why she didn't eat me. I put that girl through hell as a young'n. Though we did have a good system of my giving her my food from the high chair. There was one time when I was about 8-9 and we went camping up at Shasta. One night, this MASSIVE storm came in while we were sleeping in our tents. According to reports, my sister's tent got knocked down and my dad had to go fix it. Our boat got hit by lightning. And apparently a whole lot of craziness went on. During the whole ordeal, Lady and I were completely passed out in the corner of my parents' tent. Woke up the next morning to everyone running around trying to clean up from the storm.

She stayed around until I was about 12 or so. Then we had to have her put down because her body just gave up on her. My dad had to carry her up the stairs at night so she could sleep with them like she always had.

That dog helped protect me through some REALLY tough times. Just thinking about her now makes me get a little teary. I miss that dog. Best friend a kid (or ANYONE for that matter) could ever have.

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I totally understand - I just had to do this with our dane/doberman a year ago. It's very difficult even though you know its the best thing for them. I still miss her, and you'll miss yours forever too.

Good luck...you've got friends here.

11. We had "Old Dirty Patches". He was allergic to grass and he stunk because of it. He once ate 1/2 bottle of Tylenol. The vet told us to dump salt down his throat. We got the Tylenol back....and a whole litany of other crap you wouldn't believe (pencils, whole toys, etc). Total mutt. Got cancer. I ordered him a large pizza the day we found out. We put him down a few weeks later before it got too bad.

Mike

12. Thanks Jon, and everyone. He's still here in body, but he's definitely checked out in spirit.

13. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    we do dog rescue.

one time we were presented with an onery 15 y/o, 2 toothed, bald , screaming chihuahua that another foster couldnt handle. the groups vet said she was in very poor health, gave her about 3 monthes to live. she was also in such bad emotional condition that we decided to keep her instead of finding another home, and putting her through the additional trauma of adoption to yet another home.

we started her on a vegetarian diet, and gave her plenty of attention. my wife and mother showered her with affection. she grew most of her hair back, and even became playful. she ended up living another 6 years, until she too had a stroke. while i am glad she was able to live past her intial 3 month prediction, we still miss her. having her put down was the first time i actually cried for an animal.

actually, im tearing up now recounting this story.

she was fiesty till the very end. by then she only had one tooth, and still refused to eat anything but hard food.

14. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

We had to put down our Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever in Jan. 2005 that we'd had since I was 7. He was almost 17 years old then and we'd had him since he was a puppy (we had both of his parents who had puppies and then we sold all the puppies and the parents and kept him). At that point he was already mostly deaf, had cataracts but could still see fairly well and had severe arthritis (we weren't aware of the extent). We had him in for check ups at the vet about every 6 months after he turned 12 and at the last one the vet told us that he had arthritis in his back and that it was so severe that it was causing his vertebrae to fracture. Several had already fused together. Other than that everything was healthy, his heart was great etc. The vet basically told us that he was going to be in progressively more pain every day with no chance of things ever getting better. We were already fairly sure that he was in fairly severe pain at that point. The doctor's recommendation was to have him put to sleep, which is what we did. I thought that it would be selfish to keep him alive in severe pain because I didn't want to see him go.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I had to put down a dog of mine last year, and it was the toughest thing I've ever had to do. I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciated the responses of my fellow TB folks during my time of need as well. While the words of strangers may not do anything to bring your friend back, knowing your not alone and that people do understand really helped me.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Tee,

I'm really sorry you're having to go through this.

:(

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Its hard to let your freind go like this but the thing I try to keep in mind is that their is nothing more you can do to bring them back to good health. I am sorry for your pain.

18. My most sincere sympathies. In the last year I have been through that twice... once with my lab-mix, Hershey who was over 14 and suffering from pancreatitis (sp?) and my little black kitty, Jaco who was hit with renal failure at the extraordinarily early age of 5. It is a very hard thing to lose pet friends like this, but it is much harder to watch them suffer with painful, quaility-of-life destroying ailments.

My heart goes out to you, man. Brings a tear to my eye just typing this post.

--tz

19. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    That sucks, but it sounds like your dog has had alot of love and good times. I hate going through things like this and about the only way I get through them is to think of the positive side (no more suffering). Still a tough decision to make though....and hopefully things will work out were you don't have to make the decision.

Emma is the only dog I've really had. I married my wife 3 years ago and she had rescued emma from the shelter about a year before that. Poor dog had been abused and was scared of men. 4 years later she's a big ham. She is still a little unsure of men when they first come around, but she usually warms up to them. I hope we never have to make the decisions on her. I don't know that I could. My heart goes out to you...

Dave

20. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    The saddest thing I had happen with a pets was when I was a kid. I had this perfect white cat, not a speck of any color, except the pink around it's eyes and pads. I'm more of dog person, but that cat had a really friendly un cat like personality. Too friendly for it's own good.

It was an outside/indoor cat.

the ******* across the street accidently on purpose let his pit pull out, because he didn't like the cat roaming.

Well, I come home and find the cat, still alive mewling for me on the porch, with it's scull crushed, bloodied, and an eye gashed out. Basically begging to be put out of it's misery.

If I was older I would have gone and punched the guy out.

I've had a many dogs and cats. When they get old and are in pain, it seems to me that often they just want to be let go to their final rest.

I had friend who's mom had a older than dirt shelty. the poor little dog had arthritis and was in constant pain, had to be carried everwhere. Mean as hell even to it's owners. To me it's just cruel to keep a pet alive that in the wild it would have no hope of continuing, or an animal that is in pain. It's just selfish.