Animato (clone) with B7K (EDIT thoughts with these to)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wpc1996, Jun 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ok so I own a B7K that is on like 99.99% of the time with some slight dirt, and Ive just been wanting to get something to add a different flavor. (Im pretty sure I made like a million post similar to this but i still haven't found that pedal)

My guy that does all my set ups and repairs has recently started making pedals, and Im gonna try to have him make me a gain boost pedal with a blend (think speaker cranker from earthquaker but with a blend knob) and Im debating on trying to get him to make me an animato clone.

Any one had experience mixing either the real animato or a clone of it with the darkglass b7k?

EDIT
    My guy said that it would be more expensive for him to build the animato so (but hes making me a pedal that he already builds since he wants to know how it works with bass), I want some thoughts on stacking the b7k with

Team Awesome Fuzz from small sound big sound
    Grey Stache from Fuzzrocious
    B:Assmaster from Malekko
    Tall Font Russian (or elephant skin) from Wren and Cuff
    M85 from MXR
    I know these are all completely different but I like them all haha, usually prefer muff style fuzzes tho

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    No experience, but I'll mention what I assume you already know. The Animato by itself is known to be pretty thin for bass. Most people use it with an external blend (like Chris Wolstenholme from Muse) or the recent clones (by Crowell and John K.) have had a blend or other EQ. The B7K can do a lot for bringing back bass with its EQ, but I'm not sure if that will fully do the trick.

3. I heard it can get thin. Thats why Im thinking of having him add a blend knob maybe if he can build this for me. Im talking to him later today about it

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Never owned any Darkglass stuff but I used to have an Animato clone built by JohnK with a blend knob. I think it was nshuman who once described the Animato as "Gary Busey in a pedal." There are times it sounded absolutely wonderful, and times I thought it was the most insane thing I ever heard, and not in a good way. I did like blending it with other dirt pedals, sometimes. I finally had to let it go because it was way too unpredictable for me. But there's nothing like it, and sometimes I wish I still had it.

wpc1996 and TerribleLiar23 like this.
  5. @wpc1996,
    Just curious, is your buddy going to build it on vero board or from a Fuzz Dog PCB or ... ?

6. Ill keep that kn mind thanks!

7. I havent had a chance go call him yet, hopefully tmrw. Im not sure what he uses tho, i just know he made aome pedals for him self for his guitar that sounds really good so im curious to see what he can do for me haha

8. Bump (made some edits)

9. Edit?

Neon Lemon on White... :wideyed:
    ARARRRGGH, my EYES! :dead:

:roflmao:
    I guess you're not using the Retro style scheme.

This is how I would prioritise your new list:

B:Assmaster from Malekko
    Tall Font Russian
    Team Awesome Fuzz Machine from SS/BS
    Grey Stache from Fuzzrocious
    (or elephant skin) from Wren and Cuff
    M85 from MXR

Of course, ask me tomorrow and the TAFM might be at the top of the list followed by the B:Assmaster and ...

Completely unfamiliar with the M85.

wpc1996 likes this.
  10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Works fine with the dark scheme

11. Yeah, well, that's just, like, your evil scheme, man.

wpc1996 likes this.
  12. TheMightyEight

TheMightyEight

Mar 23, 2017
    UK
    I'm still laughing at "Gary Busey in a pedal"

JimmyM and wpc1996 like this.
  13. Thats the one im using. Honestly forgot you could set the style lmao

14. Lmao sorry using the dark one

Ill look more into them and the B:Ass master is my #1 choice right now. Dont know if its for tone or name honestly lmao. Or the tall font russian

TheMightyEight likes this.
  15. TheMightyEight

TheMightyEight

Mar 23, 2017
    UK
    I had a silicone b:assmaster , killer pedal.
    A bit 'honky' with my Jazz but yeh killer pedal.

wpc1996 likes this.