Ankh Bass? Can you digest this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Apr 17, 2003.

1. I was browsing around bunny basses and I think I might get the Ken Smith. Still can't decided Ken Smith or Zon Legacy Elite(I like the synthetic neck, is it true that it doesn't warp like wood?)

Anyhow, check out this Ankh Bass! It goes for $1800.

Have you ever seen this bass or played one?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There was a thread about this bass not too long ago. It's kinda scary!!!!!!!:bawl:
  3. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What's up with that "slap contour", as they call it? If i wanted extra room for my fingers when i slap, i would want the contour to go under the strings! I pity that bass, and i pity the person that buys it for that price..
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wouldn't play it.

I mean, I could live with somewhat poor looks, but when it has big design faults like the non-functional slapcut or poorly placed thumbrest (which should not be over the pup) ... :rolleyes:
  5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    don't knock it just yet.. may be the nicest bass you'll ever play or hear... maybe
  6. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    that's got to be the ugliest bass i've ever seen. if you really like it i guess get it. but for $1800................i would definately get something way better...p/j config and an active eq...ahhh:cool:
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I dug it the first time around, and I still dig it. Slap cuts are silly, in general. So, I don't mind something purely for looks.

If I could pick it up in person to ensure there weren't any "lazy spots," I'm sure I'd be happy with one.
  8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    hey bassmonkeee, ya's movin' to montana anytime soon?

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I am sorry to sound negative, but that bass really is quite ugly. Maybe it plays nice, but I would not drop very much money on that at all.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Negative: lower horns are there for a reason: makes for a nice concave arch which sits nicely on yer leg when playin' seated.

Positive: I like the color.

Misc: the slap cut might be OK as is. I rarely have problems getting my fingers under the strings, but I do sometimes rap my knuckles against the body. Then again, I can see myself poking the edge of the slap cut with my finger (I'm not such a great slapper).