1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Annie Clements

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by two fingers, Feb 6, 2016.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, I caught the CMT New Women of Country concert last night. The headliner was Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland fame. Enough about that...

Jennifer's bassist was Annie Clements. What a talent!

Not only is she rock solid on bass, she is a freaking incredible vocalist. That lady was singing over Jennifer one minute and under her the next. Great range. Perfect pitch. Superb tone.

Now that we got vocals out of the way... this is a bass forum after all.

She was playing a Jag. Oly and tort. Just great solid playing. Good fat tone. She is one of those players who could clearly "go off" all night. But she mostly holds it down and occasionally throws something in there that says "Yeah, I brought licks too." She was pretty stinking good on upright too.

A little bio Google produces that she also is a web designer, music marketer, studio bassist for the same outfit she is Web master and marketer for... and triathlon competitor.

PRO musician, business person, athlete and just all around impressive person. Some people were born to accomplish a lot.

300x300.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Timmy-Watts likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Did I mention she had a tort guard on a Fender? Anyone? Anyone? I thought that alone would get her in the club around here. Ha!

3. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'd wife her. ;)

That's one heck of a gal. She sounds like a real neat person - I wonder what else she does?

4. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Sounds like she doesn't need Jennifer Nettles of Sugerland. I'd love nothing more for a bass playing girl to hit big in country music. Modern county reminds me of '80s hair metal. In bad need of an enema of something different.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    It seems right that she should play one of my basses. Good player too

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Sorry I'm late to the party. I must not have seen this thread back in February or I would have chimed in then.

I'm not into country-pop music at all, but my wife turned me on to a couple of Sugarland albums a few years ago and I liked them much more than I expected to. So I agreed to go see a Sugarland show with her, and I enjoyed it so much we went back to see them couple more times over the next couple of years. They really put on a helluva show: just one flying pig shy of a stadium-rock show, as I said in post some years ago. Jennifer Nettles is a freakin' force of nature.

Although Sugarland has used an ever-changing lineup of studio musicians for their albums, they've kept the same touring band together for many years -- including Annie on bass. The whole band was excellent, but Annie (of course) really stood out to me. As you said, she mainly just "holds it down" -- with great, solid groove -- but once in a while she tosses in just enough extra to let you know that there's a lot more under the hood that she could call upon if the situation warranted. And I agree that her ability to sing around Jennifer's vocals is remarkable. I see that since Sugarland stopped touring she's been in touring with both Jennifer's band and Kristian's band, which says a lot too.

One thing I specifically remember from reading a couple of interviews with Annie is that when she auditioned for Sugarland, the call didn't mention anything about vocals -- but when she got to the audition she requested a microphone and sang harmonies anyway. She thinks that might have been why she got the gig.