Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Annoying buzz at the 7th fret

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 8, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

OK, I've tried to ignore this thing, but it's really hard since I'm rehearsing "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" with my band (a request) because it's very annoying to hear that "brighter" D note when playing that cool octave riff. The weird thing (to me) is that the buzz only happens on the G string.

Of course I'm not a repair expert, but as far as I understand, a buzzing fret affects all the strings, which isn't the case. Am I wrong? The G string sounds great anywhere else, so I don't think it's a matter of raising the saddle. Frankly I wouldn't like to bring my preciated Bongo to a guitar tech here, so I'd like to know if there's a way to fix this thing by myself (I always do the regular setup job). Thank you in advance! :)

2. Sounds like a high fret. Your G might be the lowest, action-wise - which could be he reason its the only one buzzing.

3. be glad it's not a Wishbass. because then you'd have an annoying buzz at the 9th, 11th, 4th, 1st, 13th...

hahaha
    sorry, i couldn't resist

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Yes, it only buzzes on the 7th fret of the G string, and I can avoid it by pressing the string really hard.

The strings (Labella Hard Rockin' Steels) are like six months old. Should I replace them now? Thanks!

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Yes, it looks like that! I think you've found the answer, Joshua. My Bongo will get new strings tomorrow. Thank you again!

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I've just put a fresh set of Hard Rockin' Steels in my Bongo and the problem has gone. Thank you again, Joshua. You are The Man.

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    holy **** !! Do you speak portuguese?

Mod edit: please fully mask all swearing.