Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Annoying buzz at the bridge.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass_tool, Dec 28, 2001.

1. The bridge on my Cort 5 string bass has been buzzing on certain frets, the 7th fret of my G string (no jokes please ;) ), the second of my E string, and a few other, its definately coming from the bridge, but I can't pinpoint where exactly, I'm thinking its something wrong with the saddle.

The last time I changed strings it got even worse.

Is it time for a new bridge? If so how much do they go for, and could you reccommend a good one..

Thanks.

2. The buzzing at the bridge probably isn't directly related to the fret at which the buzzing appears. By this I mean that there is likely something off kilter with the bridge but the particular frequencies at those frets are what make the problem apparent. I would guess that there is a loose part, perhaps a spring?, that is vibrating when excited at those frequencies. Try this: Make the buzz as loud as you can by fretting and playing a note. Then run your fingers - while the note is sustaining - to touch all of the parts of the bridge. You might just isolate the offending part. When the buzz stops, that's the area you need to pay attention to. It's not uncommon for parts to loosen, especially during a string change and that sounds like what you've got here.

Hope this helps

3. I had the same problem, a short while back. The screws were loose at the bridge that held it on. Also, to make matters worse, the spring on the G string saddle had popped off, making the saddle wobble back and forth. Check those things.