1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Annoying buzz when not touching strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Spikeh, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've had my bass for about 2 years now - it's a Deluxe Fender Jazz and I love it... but it's ALWAYS buzzed when I take my fingers off the strings.

I've tried different amps and different leads - and also tried different basses on my amp with my leads... it defo seems to be the bass itself.

I took it to a local shop to have the pickup selector fixed (it seems that since I bought it BRAND NEW one of the pickups was always broken!). Now I'm starting to gig and play more often, this buzzing is getting more annoying - especially when I'm letting notes ring out and with slapping.

The shop said they'd fixed it... I'm gonna take it back I think, but that was a few months ago. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this, if it's a Fender specific issue or if this is normal?

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I used to have that with my P Bass. The exact same problem with strings touch killing the buzz. I opened it up completely, tightened knobs, had the elecdtronics sit a bit more stable inside, and it solved the problem. Check your cables first though.

3. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've tried loads of different cables... it's defo the bass.

I'll try that tonight... if I get out of the office before 10pm :(