1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Annoying buzz with my XO Qtron+

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 3toes, Feb 29, 2008.

1. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I literally JUST got this pedal 30 minutes ago and whenever it is hooked up into my chain and sitting idle (and while playing but hard to hear it then obviously...) I get this annoying buzzing sound coming through my amp. Anyone experience this? Did I get a lemon?

:bawl:

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Buzzing could be a number of things.

Some pedals tend to amplify the hum of your pickups. Some can sometimes pick up EMF interference depending on where you are. It could even be a cable issue - something not hooked up properly, a bad cable, etc.

Let's try to eliminate the variables. Does the buzz go away when you touch the strings or bridge of your bass? Does the buzz go away when you stomp on the footswitch to bypass it? Does the Q-Tron work fine, buzzing aside?

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Ok, so far, the only thing that stops the buzzing is when I simply TOUCH the bypass switch. I don't have to depress it, but if I simply touch it w/ my hand or foot, the buzz goes away...:confused:

Other than that it's always buzzing, even when bypassed.

4. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Also, now that I've tried it with my amp at gig-level volumes... it has a very loud pop come through when I engage/disengage the pedal.

Is something not grounded/shielded right?

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Pops are common with ALL true-bypass pedals, unfortunately. It's the one flaw of an otherwise great bypass system.

Regarding the buzz: that could be the case, but based on what you said about how your Q-Tron+ itself stops the buzz when touched, I'm really not sure what it could be anymore...

6. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Hm, well thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna get in touch w/ EHX, if all else fails I have 45 days to return it to MF.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This won't be much help, but the only times I've ever been let down by an ElectroHarmonix pedal is when I purchased it from MF. Don't know what that means exactly, but twice I got an Electric Mistress Lemon.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I got a lemon Nano Small Stone in from MF yesterday- small world :D I also got a Q-tron+ XO as well- mine works fine, but I'm returning it as it takes a bit more knob twiddling to get a good tone than my monkey brain can handle.

9. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Ok now it seems to be doing it through all of my pedals individually too... I think there might be some kind of weird interference in my room:meh:

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's the Mystic Boo haunting your board.

11. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Ok now it stopped altogether. I think there's just some weird interference in my room. Probably because I have like two A/C units right behind my wall outside.

Oh and EHX is freakin lying when they say there isn't a volume spike w/ this new model. I have to watch my dynamics like crazy or I clip the crap out of my amp.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I also noticed an overall volume boost and some volume spike on most of the "good" settings I found, although volume spikes/dips are pretty common with most envelopes. I'm going to try either a Maxon AF-9 next or try to find an older DOD FX-25, and both of them have been known to have spikes or dips in volume.

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    :D

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    My Mini Q Tron sounds so freakin good but the volume spike is an issue. I have a Punch Factory compressor set up after the filter to tame the volume. This results in a lot of pedalboard space for some simple filter funkyness!

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Did you try to use the boost function? When it is on you can control the volume spikes. Also many of the tweakable env filters have settings that can be downright dangerous for your amp. My Maxon, BSW, Qtron + and BMS can all generate those huge Godzilla playing dub sounds that rattle the cab.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey sycip, how's the Maxon compare to the Q-tron+? As far as ease of use, etc. I imagine they're both along the same lines of wetness/squelchiness based on the reviews.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It is easier to dial in the Maxon but it isn't as adjustable as the Qtron+. For strictly bass use, I'd go Maxon. If I were gunna filter keys, drums and everything else, I'd go Q Tron+

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks. I'm just using it for bass. The extra adjustability of the Q-tron ended up being just extra work- too bad too- I really wanted to like that one :D

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I think I may be going crazy. Since I never made it to UPS on Friday to drop the Q-tron+ off for return, I decided to open the box back up this afternoon and give it one more try. This time I was getting great sound easily, as opposed to the hours of fiddling around the other night. I tried turning the Boost on and using that gain to cut the volume like syciprider suggested (and I hadn't thought of), and that also worked like a charm. Now I'm keeping the pedal :rolleyes:

I'm just curious if my head was up my arse on Thursday or if it is today. Thursday I tried it out after returning from being a pallbearer at my uncle's funeral and generally being exhausted and sad, but today I'm having some sort of allergy cold, so that doesn't bode well either :D :D

Oh, and the Nano SS is still a dud. At least I didn't mistake a properly working unit for a bad one.

20. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I think they shoulda labeled that knob "Level" or something. :meh: Switching it to "On" doesn't boost anything does it?