Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Annoying Clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of that annoying clicking sound I get when using a D.I. live. I don't hear it on stage , but when listening to tapes that were made from the mixing board it sounds awful. This only happens with my Fender Amer. Deluxe Jazz.It has a 3-band EQ, mabye i'm setting it wrong.My 5-string Warmoth Deluxe Jazz which has an EMG 40CS and single volume and tone controls never gets this clicky sound.It's kind of like the Steve Harris thing but it's all over the place.Suggestions?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Clicking noise? Could it be the strings hitting the exposed polepieces on the pickups, which your Warmoth doesn't have?

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The only thing that I can think of that would click would be like Jeff mentioned, the strings hitting the pole pieces. Or possibly the frets? Is the action considerably lower on the Fender??

I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with EQ.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Lower the pickups!

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Fieldy?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes: :D :p

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Come to think of it, the Setup Forum would probably more the place for this.

Moved.

8. ButtBass

ButtBass

Nov 14, 2001
    Could it be that his EQ is too hot and peaking through the system? I know I have had that problem before.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    In all seriousness, it sounds like the pups may be too high, like Angus said.

10. Look out for the treble... if it is set too high and you fret hard it can sound off in a clicky way... try to lower the treble...

later

Drake

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    This question crops up all the time. It's generally considered to be a technique issue.
    Simply put, you're digging in beyond what the bass set up can handle and the strings are hitting either the pickups or the frets as already mentioned.

Active basses are more prone to this due to the extra high end they put out.

What you can do about it:
    Play lighter, raise the action, lower the pickup add relief to the neck, adjust your tone so it doesn't come through or embrace it and make it part of your sound. (without sounding like Fieldy...Please)

Of the above, I find that neck relief makes the biggest difference in the clack factor.

It's the nature of recording that the good get's a little better but the bad get's way, way, worse.
    I always jack up my action if I'm using an active bass in the studio. It's just easier.