Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Annoying Clicking

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bonniej, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Just recently I've noticed that my strings click often when I play. When I do a walk up from G on the E string to C on the A string I notice it most. It's very annoying. The click happens when I put my left hand fingers down to finger a note. I finger my notes sometimes with my left index finger and sometimes with all of my fingers laid down on the strings in a line.

If technique isn't necessarily to blame, is this an indicator of too high action, too low action, or too flexible strings???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bonnie

2. It sounds as if technique is to blame if you are really laying all your left fingers "down in a line"! Or with your index finger. Sounds like you need a teacher.

3. Do you mean the string clicks when you place your one of your left finger on the string? Or does it click against the fingerboard when you pluck a note?

If the latter is the case, I've usually found the culprit to be that the strings are too low. But I suppose it could also mean that you fingerboard needs to be dressed; do the strings also buzz on certain notes.

Of course, having your strings set low doesn't necessarily mean that they have to click against the fingerboard. I've heard many good players who have set their strings quite low and adapted their technique to play...er, clicklessly(?)

4. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Hi!
    When put my left finger(s) down on my string it clicks. There sometimes is a buzz on the strings, but I know how to fix that, I just push hard on the strings and try to get a cleaner 'bite'.

I know I need to see a teacher, but I don't really know of any in the area. There is a guy who told me he'd teach me how to play when I got a bass, we had tried to work something out when I first got it, but it never happened. I ought to see if I still can get in touch with him.

Bonnie

5. I don't wanna open the proverbial can of worms, but something doesn't sound right in your explanations of your left hand stuff.
    Just for kicks, can you give us a little clearer picture of what your left hand looks like when you're playing....? Do you use your ring finger on your left hand alone or with your little finger together?

6. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    If the left-hand technique is really aggressive I can see that leading to unwanted noises. "Aggressive" in the sense of bringing the fingers down like hammers onto the strings, thereby introducing percussive effects.

My teacher tells me about a bassist -- can't remember his name -- who played with the image in his head of typewriter keys hitting the page. He wanted those fingers stopping the string with machine accuracy and a fair bit of force.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it's a thing I've heard of.

7. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    :rolleyes: I should have thought of that. I'm afraid I'm not even sure of what I'm doing, explaining it to someone online is even harder.

I've got to go look for our camera that takes floppies (no USB of card slot on this 244 mhz monster), my laptop is on loan and our good digital camera is not here at the moment.

Bonnie

8. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I forgot the camera that takes floppies is in the same bag as the other camera. :\
    Pictures tomorrow.

Bonnie

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    "Took" the bass to the luthier, did you?

I would be hard to sell on the 'posessed bass' idea.

10. Yeah Ray, but he used the word 'endemic'.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I thought that the misuse of 'endemic' was possibly just something endemic to people that use 'to bring' in such a fashion.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sorry I brung it up!

:)