annoying clicks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by rashbeep, Mar 17, 2006.

1. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    hi im recording stuff and i get these annoying clicks.. i try to remove them, but no luck. please help??
  2. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    if it's a computer program turn the metronome off, if it's your bass. if it's bizzing get the bass set up, if it's the way you play, boost your highs and lows and cut your mids a bit, and play softer less is more.
  3. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    well, you could always join Korn, i seem to hear a lot of annoying clicks in their bass as well.
  4. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    We can only guess what you are talking about. If you mean you are recording your bass and you hear clicking on the playback, and you are trying to get rid of them - I had a clicking problem about a year ago when I bought a MM Stingray. It was my poor technique going up against a great bass - that doesn't work. Try a good old mediocre bass like a MIM Precision or Jazz (passive) and the clicking should disappear.

5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Is it possible that you're recording with your levels too hot, and the clicks you're hearing are digital clipping of transients on drums and bass?
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Are you recording several instruments at the same time with a band? My band recently tried to do some live recordings and the results were also unuseable due to annoying clicks. It ended up being a sound card problem, it couldn't handle recording so many tracks at once.
  7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    more details about your computer, hardware, and software please. or are you using a Tascam type device?
  8. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    i have 1gb ram, amd athlon 64 3200, Sound Blaster Audigy, ati x800 . i use adobe audition. and i don't use any recording devices what i do is i have a headphone jack and connect it with a patch directly to my amp. i think it may be my technique or something or it might be my nails are too long...
  9. paulodumb

Jan 16, 2006
    ypsilanti, mi
    cut your fingernails.
  10. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Is the bass you're using active or passive? Also, do you have an amp where you can just play through it and see if you hear the clicking? If your nails are short, again, I think it's your technique and using a passive bass will help, but if you already are, you might try using your thumb if the bass line isn't too fast or difficult.

11. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    do you have any audio samples of the clicking?
  12. Is the clicking in time? If so, it's your metronome or click track. Turn it off.

If it's not, it could be anything from a bad connection in a cable to transients to magnetic fluctuations to God knows what. There is a lot of different things that can go wrong in a recording.

Rock on
  13. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I'll bet the bassist is playing with their fingers? I had an Ibanez SR-800 and the clicking was intense. Turned out to be my technique... Try playing and picking more up and down instead of back and forth. Up and down meaning top of bass to bottom of bass (vice versa if playing with fingers because they are under the string being plucked)
    Back and forth meaning towards and away from the bass body...

Clicking probably is occuring because your strings are hitting the frets back and forth... Raise the action and lower the pickups maybe for a quick fix. Music recording with average gear really picks this up. Also check if the bass is active or passive and make sure if it is active then it has the active cut that it should. otherwise it is too hot
  14. rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    ye its an active bass but what do you mean by "actice" cut?