annoying clicky noise in my tone..i don't think its frett buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, Aug 6, 2002.

1. i was playing yesterday and the guitarist just kept saying get rid of that clicky sound, i didn't notice it as bad as he did, but what can i do...its a valve pre-amp, should i get rid of some high mids or highs on the eq?? i really like the tone. it had good punch, response and a good slap sound, but these bloody clicky thing...and i don't think they were really from frett buzz, as it was a different type of buzz...
  2. the other thing is my 410 has a it could be coming from there, but i don't think so as i had it only about 1/4 of the way up
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    the clicky sound is probably due to you playing your bass not your amp and or cab. that clicky sound is the sound of your strings banging against your frets... raise your action and lighten up on your touch.. don't force the bass to make noise..

If its some other sound as to what i just said, i'm sorry.. if I'm wrong, please provide some additional info.. you can describe alot of sounds as clicky... anywho.... hope i was on the right track...
  4. Yeah, it sounds like you need to raise the action on your bass, so that the strings don't hit the frets.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If your bass is haunted by the ghost of FiElDy, it's probably your action.
  6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Ya, raise ur strings...i had that problem...everyone here thinks i am stupid (i am) and i fexed it:D
  7. Hey, did you mentioned you really like your tone?

So why don't you tell your guitar player to stick with it and get focused in his own tone?

Well... seriously, If you like your tone and don't want neither to get rid of your treble and high mids, nor raise your strings too much, just try plucking with your right fingers a little bit softer and more perpendicular to the strings.. (i mean 90° from the surface of the body and neck) playing closer to the bridge reduces that clicking also..
  8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    is it a single click with a single note? or is it several clicks with one note? i played an amp that did several clicks to one note and it was a loose connection in the tubes saddle and possibly a microphonic tube...
    your action is too low. if you want just raise your mids a little and cut out some treble (with less horn) unless of course you are happy with sounding like fieldy...:D

9. You need to swithc off the Fieldy patch on your GT-6B!!:D :D
  10. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Do you have the compressor on? Hard compression can create a "pop" at the start of the note.