Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

annoying cpu problem!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Feb 1, 2004.

1. ok, i have been having this happen a lot lately and i cant figure out whats causing it.

ill be in internet explorer, kazaa, or winamp and it will have the "program has encountered an error and must close" and this is what it says:

any idea what keeps causing these "page faults"??? it happens probably 20-30 times a day and god its getting old! any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Perhaps Kazaa. You're not always just dowloading a song,but a minor bug too. Winamp is always faulty. -Luke

3. well, i meant kazaa lite.

and also, it will do it randomly in IE all the time. i wont have anything else running and it will do it. in fact, its done it to me 3 times trying to post this =\

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    What version of Windows are you running? When is the last time you did a Scandisk? -Luke

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, we'll need to know what version of Window's you are running, what version of IE, and WinAmp version would help.

-Mike

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    put a boot disk in, any boot disk
    format c:
    put the windows cd in, (xp)
    reboot ;) :D

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

It says WInamp.exe caused it. Are you sure you dont have Winamp running in the background or have it setup to auto update?? I would uninstall winamp, reboot and then reinstall winamp.

8. Smurf

Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    Have built computers for 15 years, and have NEVER seen a computer with Kazza, Real Player Basic , or Winamp run right. These programs, no matter how you set the defaults, will allways run in the background, try to access the internet when your on line, and basicly eat CPU cycles all the time. Do you have a firewall set up? Get one, and see how many times these programs try to get out to the net. Windows Media Player 9 is also good for this. I have seen this on all versions of Windows, so it's not 1 version thats the worse at this. I am NOT trying to start a war here, just letting you know that 99.9% of the time when I tell people to remove these programs when there haveing problems, it "fix's there 'puter". I recommend Zone Alarm and Ad Aware. Free to use and download, and you can always upgrade to a stronger program.

9. thanks guys. i ran spy bot and adaware last night and nothing major turned up but my cpu did stop doin it for now.

im running win 98 SE, IE 6.0, winamp 5.0, and kazaa lite k++. its really sporadic in the times it does it. i can go weeks without it happening then one day it will start doing it constantly! i plan on getting a laptop soon so hopefully i wont have to deal with it much longer.

10. Check your CPU cooler.

Last tuesday i installed Windows XP on my computer. It ran fine until i started playing games. The computer would instantly reboot after about 5 mins of playing. After some investigating i found out that my CPU cooler wasn't running ( it's temperature controlled ).

Turns out that windows XP doesn't support the ACPI ( power management ) on my motherboard. Windows XP prevented the CPU cooler from running, causing my system to overhead and crash. Reinstalled windows 2000, and it's running perfectly again.

Next week... AllodoX's computer course - lesson 42 : How to stalk manufacturers for up-to-date devicedrivers.

11. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    windows 9x is famous for those types of errors and there really is nothing you can do to fix it i suggest upgrading.

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Here are several things you could do

1) When you boot, go in to your bios and check out the temperature of your computer. See if its running above 90-100.

2) Try running scan disk or defragging your pc

3) How long has it been since you formatted? You should always format your PC every 6 months-a year

4) You know you could check your logs to see what happened to you computer right? I Remember there was a log for every error that occurs in your windows. I gotta check it again

D

13. thanks guys. i reformatted the HD not a month and a half ago, and it has been fine until about 2 weeks ago. i will check my bios for the cpu temp and such. i completely uninstalled kazaa and winamp and did a fresh install of internet explorer, but i still got the same problem in IE while browsing any website. to get around this i downloaded the opera browser and while it doesnt have the problem im having with IE it wont let me log into talkbass! any time i try to log in on opera the program automatically closes. hmm

i think ill get out my old hard drive (6 gbs baby!), transfer all my documents to it, and then reformat this one and send em back. pray it works!

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    yeah i was wondering how you go about not loosing all your crap

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I can just say that I've had a Windows 2000 system for the last four years, running Winamp version 2 practically for hours and hours most every day. Not one crash because of it.

"Invalid page faults" could be caused by a bug in the application itself, e.g. coming from improper memory management. It's quite easy to achieve, especially if the app is coded in C/C++! :p

Try do "downgrade" to an earlier version, and see if that helps.

But if all else fails, reformat/reinstall is unfortunately by far the best solution with Windows...

16. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    It could be a lot of things. If you've rebuilt the machine recently it's probably fairly clean. Rebuilding is definately good every 6mo or so otherwise the registry tends to be a cluttery mess.

How much RAM do you have? Page faults could happen because winamp has tried to overwrite or access some other program's process space, or vice versa. If you're paging a lot of memory with a small (and full?) hard drive and low RAM with an older OS it's easy to have happen - so also check to see how much is being paged to disc, if you're paging more memory than you have it would be fairly safe to assume that's contributing to the issue....

It could also be a virus...

17. 56 mb of ram :smug:

and i checked the temp and man oh man...

157 degrees F...

:-0

ill see about getting a new fan in there, i know my cpu teacher has extras i could use. then again, im bout to just stop messing with this one since i'll be getting my laptop soon. yay!

18. Smurf

Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    I also run 2000. Had XP and just had to many problems with it even after the service pack. The people I know that have all the programs mentioned above, and have had no problems, think I'm nuts when I tell them this. All I can say is it has worked for me to remove the programs from the computer's that are having problems. I like the programs, just had issues with them. I also duel-boot with BeOS MAX 3.0, and even tho this OS is OLD, it still runs my audio a lot quicker than Windows on the same system.Never had luck with audio in Linux....yet. And don't have the cash for a Mac :crying: Good luck....

19. ok guys, heres what i did:

i uninstalled pretty much everything, including my windows media player and windows updates. i then reinstalled kazaa lite and viola! it works! now maybe i wont have to bother reformatting...

20. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I'd bet the farm that RAM is at least part of the problem. Especially since removing programs helped. IE 6 is using over 30mb on my machine right now - it's kind of a hog. Running all those other programs at the same time is probably paging like crazy.... When you're computer hits the upper limit of RAM it pages what the processor isn't using to disc. That will increase the opportunity for page faults and will degrade performance big time. Memory is pretty cheap and really easy to install. I got 256mb a couple weeks ago for $20 after rebates.