1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Annoying fret buzz -- No happy solution

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dwagner, Mar 15, 2013.

1. My problem is:

raise action just so buzz disappears:
    too hard to play
    when even normally fretting, pitch bends too high

lower action:
    I like the action (could be a lot lower though)
    buzz is unbearable

Is it the truss rod, most likely?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Low action requires that everything be spot on. And you have to start with the frets - they need to be truly level. Most basses from the store have enough un-evenness that low action isn't possible without a proper fret levelling. After that you have to pay a lot of attention to the amount of relief, then you can start to look at the height of the saddles. Tolerances here are in the thousandths of an inch.

So there's no simple answer to your question if you want really low action.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Go get it professionally set up. It'll cost you $30-$60, but it'll play like a dream, and you can do the tweaks to keep it in good shape afterwards.

4. Alright, thanks.
    It sucks cause the nearest guitar place is 160ish miles away, so I have no idea how I'm going to do that. There is no way I'm dropping the bass off and waiting.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Read the guides at the top of the forum and do a step by step setup yourself. At least You will be able to get it as low as possible for the condition your frets are currently in.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Possibly. How much relief are we dealing with at the moment?

Riis

7. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    There are sometimes local area musicians who can do the same work the techs can. Ask around, and you may find your own guitar tech near home.

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  9. Mainly only on the D-string on the 12th fret. Nothing below that, and some above it. Mostly just bad on the 12th, though.

10. Even if the neck relief is right low action with out fret buzz can't be accomplished. With just one fret being only .003 " high will cause havoc and frustration. If you have access to a straight edge that will span three frets you can find the high ones. Any high frets will cause the straight edge to rock. You would be surprised how difference a good fret leveling can make.

Research fret leveling and learn to do your own work it can be very rewarding. It's not that hard.

Tedward

11. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I use an Allen wrench. It is short and spans three frets high on the neck. Rest it across three frets and it will rock up and down if the center fret is high. From your description, it sounds like you have a high fret. It's the one that doesn't buzz. Is causing the two our three behind it to buzz.