1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Annoying little computer problem....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Little bit of a story

Earlier this week I was attempting to get a spybot search going, running on the detection rules prior to the 10/20 update, and my machine kept freezing due to one process that the program couldn't pick up.

I went to the support site and one of the recommended solutions was to use the Temporary File Cleaner by Oldtimer.

While this may have wiped out a bunch of problems, it deleted a particular dll file (called 42890233wsy.dll) that rundll keeps picking up on and notifying me it can't find (each and every boot).

I've done a search on the dll file on the net and found absolutely nothing (for that specific one).....

So is there any way to get rundll to stop trying to process that file? I've tried registry cleaners and file recovery programs....

2. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Go into msconfig > start up and you may be able to find it.

3. msconfig? Haven't used that before......where can I find it in xp?

I used malwarebytes....apparently picked up 5 flavors of virus that avast/ccleaner/winaso/spybot hadnt' caught onto. what IS the qualification for being a freeware designer of cpu protection?!?! After all these days, the adventure is finally over :D

4. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    You can also manually search through your registry for the filename and delete all references to it. It's probably running as part of a service. If you go into the administrative tools folder on your Start menu, and double-click Services, you can try looking for it there and disabling it. Might be hard to find though, as the service name is probably not going to be obvious.

5. yea, I'm thinking it was just a viral artifact on the drive that didn't go away because I didnt' use the right software. I mean, after all, I deleted it accidentally with the temp file cleaner, and then to make things worse, when I attempted to actually fix things (recovering the file), the recovering software couldnt even find it. So if it was that rare to the software, and to the internet, it probably wasn't a sought after file.
    EDIT: I just looked up what it was.......its a "trojan downloader", according to malwarebytes

6. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Start > run, type msconfig.
    Click the startup tab. look through there and uncheck if you find it.

7. just ONE more dumb question......is it a dos process?

8. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you have XP or later, you don't have dos.

9. The reason I asked was I ran bootzilla and the entire build process brought me back to windows 95 days (when I was still a dumb computer user) of looking at a black screen of text running scripts almost endlessly....