Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

annoying noise Help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shaggy98771, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    It seems that when an open string is pluck it rings out normal but when a fret is hit i get a low, but very loud hum from my amp
    i know its that bass but i didnt know where to post sorry i lil new
    any help please:mad:

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    fret buzz?? do you get it on one fret or all frets?? for that string?

3. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    I have the buzz on any fret when even a finger touches a string, doesnt matter what fret tho its annoying

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    do you get the noise even when you're not playing??

5. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    i took the pick guard off with it still plugged into my amp and the noise goes away but when i put the pickguard on the noise comes back. i get it no matter if i play or not:(

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Hmmm... you *MIGHT* want to try buying some copper sheilding tape and applying it to the back of your pickguard. I've never tried this, but it seems like it might fix the problem. I don't know though... thats a pretty interesting situtation. If you can't figure it out you might be best off going to a repair shop or posting about it in the Luthier's forum.

EDIT: This seems like more of a problem with your bass rather than your amp.. this thread should be moved.

By the way... what kind of bass is it?

7. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    a crap starter bass i got from a friend for 20 dollars but ive had it for a long time not sure what kind it is though

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I had a cheap squire pbass special and the bridge pickup was single coil and very noisy. I played with the neck pickup only until I got a new pick up.

also try...

make sure you're using a guitar cable NOT a speaker cable. speaker cables are not shielded and will pick up all kinds of hum and amplify it.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The bridge probably has a ground wire that is not making a good connection. You have to remove the bridge to check it.

Pkr2

10. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    thanks i will try it

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I have the same problem with my $500 Ashton :D

Mine may not be as large as yours, but i was told it may be bad earth, or a new input jack might be needed.

But if someone offers you to fix it for a fair bit, dont pay too much, because if it is a cheapo bass its gunna have alot of money invested, but still going to have a LOW re-sale value. ;)

Good luck bud!

12. Shaggy98771

Shaggy98771 Guest

May 19, 2003
    Rockford Illinois
    the bridge was fine but where do i find copper tape, im gettin a new bass soon as i get a job but there arent anhy available around here ....

13. You don't have to have copper tape. Aluminum foil glued to the back of pickguard will do the same thing. It sounds like your bass could use a good going over by an instrument tech. Give it to a good tech and it should play and sound better than you have ever heard and shouldn't be that expensive, either.