Annoying popping noise in rig. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Oct 4, 2005.

1. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    I have recently noticed a rather loud and annoying popping noise in my current rig. My setup consists of a Furman PL/Tuner, Ampeg SVP-Pro, QSC PLX1602 played through an Eden D410T cab.

Every so often, it makes this loud popping noise even if I'm not plugged in or I have the preamp muted. Any ideas on what's causing this?
  2. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I think I would start by unplugging the SVP-Pro from your power amp to see if it's the cause of the problem. I had some trouble with mine making a terrible noise once in a while, what a drag that was and it was so intermitent it was VERY tough to track down but I did manage to find the problem.

It was caused by a cold solder joint in the SVP-Pro, in my case it was where the volume pot was soldered to the board, not too tough to fix.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer so it was no big deal for me to take apart something like the SVP-Pro, don't do this if you don't really know what you're doing, it's a high voltage circuit so be careful.

While you're in there you might want to look around for other cold solder joints and go ahead and hit each one with the iron to make sure they are solid. For some reason SLM/Ampeg has had lots of problems with solder joints in their gear. I think bad connections have been the cause of every failure I ever had with any of their stuff...
  3. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    Thanks for the onfo. After posting the previous message, I determinied that it was the SVP-Pro. I play CDs/MP3s through my PC which feeds into a phrase sampler. From there, it goes into a cheap power mixer which goes into channel 2 of the poweramp which powers a second cab.

Originally, I thought it was the mixer since that's the cheapest part of the whole setup. Anyway, I turned off the power to the SVP-Pro and played music through my PC for well over an hour. It never made the popping noise, so the problem has to be with the preamp.

So now my next question is this, is it easy to get this fixed? I'm not really an electronics do-it-yourselfer (other than changing the tubes) so I don't want to mess it up. Thanks again for the tip.