1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Annoying rattle - Squier fretless Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jakelly, Mar 8, 2010.

1. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    I just acquired a used Squier VM fretless Jazz. It was in sorry shape when I got it with 3 broken tuning machines and bad adjustments. I've been trying to work the bugs out and get it set up nicely. I replaced the tuners already. Installed new strings, Fender 9120 tape wounds. I did lower the nut some, as it was too high. It probably would have been OK on a fretted bass, but too tall for good action in the 1st and 2nd positions. I didn't mess with the grooves, just sanded some off the bottom.

When the C to D notes are played on the G string (5th to 7th positions), I get an annoying rattle (not a buzz so much as a rattle). I can't tell where its coming from. All hardware is tight, truss rod is adjusted right about where I want it, strings are plenty high and clearance at the end of the fingerboard seems adequate. The neck has a sandpaper shim in the neck pocket from the factory, to get good saddle height on the bridge.

I hope something on the truss rod inside the neck isn't rattling.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My first thought was the trussrod or tuners may be rattling. Have you checked the bridge for looseness of the saddles, screws, or springs?

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    That's right where the dead spot would be. Do you notice a decrease in sustain, too?

4. jakelly

jakelly

Nov 8, 2009
    I can't find anything loose, anywhere. Can the truss rod actually rattle even if under tension? Because its under tension, strings up to pitch and all. The neck actually has a pretty nice adjustment now (when I bought the bass, it looked like a ski jump - very curved).

Only a very slight deadspot apparent at the C note. The C# is slightly more pronounced with a little drop off on sustain, but neither is as noticeable as on some basses I've played. When playing actual music, I don't think these deadspots will be noticeable at all.

Actually, I was just playing the bass acoustically, and noticed that the rattle seems to be less than it was yesterday. Neck settling in?

Its a nice sounding bass. Duncan designed pups. I was surprised to see they had cloth wiring, FWIW.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

You can try changing the tension on the trussrod and see it that changes anything.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020