1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

annoying rattle.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jonnyh, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hey

this is probably a very simple problem and thus I hope can be resolved quickly:)

Basically I went from heavy gauge flats to mid gauge rounds just recently. I am having trouble with an annoying clanking noise emanating from my E string whenever I hammer on/play isolated notes there. I have been trying very hard to play as soft as possible but it doesnt seem to go away. I can dampen its sound by adjusting my tone but I don't want my tonal choices to be governed by this noise. I am sure it is not fretbuzz.

Is this a matter of try try again?

My guess is this is still a matter of technique. Any tips?

Thank You.

2. JayM

JayM

Apr 4, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    If your new strings have lower tension than the ones you are replacing, you may need to adjust your neck relief. You should check your setup to see if that is a problem.

3. I call that fret clank haha I have Jumbo frets on my LTD. I dealt with the clanking noise for awhile and considered it a part of my style haha anyway I adjusted my truss rod since the neck needed to be bowed slightly more and now I have alot more action and no clanking what so ever..now when I play out it is justified for me to beat the crap out of my bass while I am playing due to the height of my action but again, it killed the clank/buzz.

Also check your bridge, I have had saddles sit loosely that actually "popped up" when the string was plucked and "clanked" back down.

Look down your bass from the bridge to up the neck. you should see a slight bow when looking down the left side of your fret board. If you don't see a curve then your strings are slamming against your frets and you need to adjust it.

I hate to say it too but if you don't have experience and can't afford to have it set up - youtube Truss Rod Adjustment and you can find oogles of videos on how to do it. I don't recommend it but after setting up my last 2 basses personally, I wouldn't have it done any other way.

4. hey thanks guys.

I adjusted my truss rod and that seems to have fixed the problem. :)

damned fret clank

Thanks!

Jon