Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Annoying rattling noise?!?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sk8punk14, Feb 12, 2006.

1. sk8punk14

sk8punk14

Feb 10, 2006
    Hi, I have a Stagg BC300 (4 string bass), and when ever I play the E string (mainly), it makes a rattling noise. I think this is because I am not pushing down hard enough and the string rattles against the other frets, but is there any way of preventing this? Thanks.

2. your action could just plainly be to low... if your pressing down hard between frets, and its still buzzing or "rattling" that could be it.. but if the rattleing/buzzing sounds like its coming from the hedstock or the body, than thats not it... it could be a tuner thats got something loose in it... thats what happens on my upright...

anyway, hope you figure it out!

3. HeYJa3

HeYJa3

Feb 5, 2006
    La Crescenta, CA
    I had the same problem also. At first, it was the low action, so I raised it. But what I found out was, it's a combination of problems.

Your neck might not be bent enough (adjust truss rod), your nut might have been grinded down (replace the nut), and finally, your action might be too low. Generally, raising the action is our first response, but it should be the last. Some players have their actions dead low but create no buzz or rattle.

If ALL fails, maybe its a loose electronics part or a bad tuning peg. Play your instrument unplugged and listen to all parts of the bass while you're playing, as in the head, the left side of the string you're fretting, the right side, and the body. It can be a combination of all. Then if you STILL can't figure it out, maybe you should get it checked out at a local shop. Make sure you give them the exact details of the problem, so they wont just over look the problem.

Hope that helped

4. mamm7215

mamm7215

Mar 23, 2005
    I just went through this with a new Cort C4Z. Rattled at the 6th fret on the A string. If you held down the 5th fret it went away. All truss adjustments just moved the rattle. Frets were good. Techs felt it was truss rattle (some just do). Got a new replacement one that doesn't do it. Could also be the nut slot is too low. This rattle didn't behave like the usual too little/much relief issue. Try shimming the nut to see if it goes away, if so, you need a new nut with the E slot higher.

5. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    check the springs on the bridge. I blu-tacked my bridge springs because they were touching my strings, and rattling

6. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    I have those problems too, sure it's tuned properly?